Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot/Teething Puppies

My 3 week old puppies have been crying alot today. I have both windows in the bedroom open with a gentle breeze but these little buggers have some very thick coats. I filled up the water bottle with cold water and they all started clammering on it but couldn't all fit on top of it. I then took 3 more ice packs out of the freezer and wrapped them good in Pillowcases. Now we have a very content brood of pups !

Plus they have been teething...any suggestions for home remedies for teething pups ?

Re: Hot/Teething Puppies

I think the freezer packs covered with a towel, etc. works better than anything I have tried. I don't think it's a problem with teething as much as a problem with the heat. I take the packs out at night when it cools off.

Re: Re: Hot/Teething Puppies

I find nothing works better or faster than a good old fashioned fan.

I freeze BIG carrots and give them a chunk to chew on...they LOVE it and is good for them too. Can stain yellows a little but it all comes out in the "wash".

Re: Re: Hot/Teething Puppies

I haven't had trouble with the teething but I have with the puppers being hot. With my last litter the brood was very hot. I'm in Hawaii so temps are warmer than elsewhere in the spring time but I had the pups in a room with a 10,000 BTU window A/C that I kept set at 65 degrees 24/7 and still had to add wet towels to the box, which I changed a couple times each day. I just layed the wet towels out flat on top of the whelping box liners. The box temp averaged 68 degrees and they were happy as clams so long as they still had their wet towels. If I took the towels away they'd start to cry again.

I like the carrot idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Good luck.

Aloha,
Kim

Make sure they have access to the bare floor. Given the choice, most pups will choose the bare floor to a padded surface when it is warm.

I had a few pieces of textured ceramic tile in the box and my little one prefered to sleep on those. He was always hot!

I also use cold wet towels.

Just lay them in the whelping box and they flock to them and are asleep in seconds.