Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sickle Hocks

Can you please share with me any good links or experience with sickle hocks in a young pup... how does it affect them structurally as far as placement in a pet home.

Re: Sickle Hocks

If you are talking about a young pup then I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs, including one of my champions, walk relaxed and appear sickle hocked but move them and bait them and they are correct.
We're talking about dogs not horses here.

Whatare sickle hocks?

thank you old breeder, yes the pup is 7 weeks old. He is going to a pet home anyway at this point, but I know nothing about it. I appreciate your feedback.

Sickle hocks from GDS standard:

Sickle hocks, seen on many show dogs, slope at a more acute angle than the femur, and do not snap open on follow-through (Fig 16 E). In extreme sickle hocks, the metatarsus takes an almost plantar position, flat to the ground like a kangaroo. This is a very serious fault. The hock is a relatively fragile joint with very little muscle, and its strength depends upon tight, strong ligaments and tendons. The sickle hock is always accompanied by an overly long, sloppy Achilles tendon and an inability of the hock to snap straight in follow-through. In bad cases, the hock leaves the ground in a vertical position, with almost no push off (Fig 17).Even pronounced sickle hocks aren't always obvious at a fast trot, as the leg's backward momentum will throw the joint open, giving the illusion of follow through. At the gallop however, the dog will be unable to generate real speed, and will actually prefer to trot. Because of the instability of the sickle hock joint, they are commonly associated with cow hocks, and eggbeater movement when gaiting away.

Re: Re: Sickle Hocks

Sickle hocks from GDS standard. Pardon my stupidity but what breed are you talking about?

Re: Re: Re: Sickle Hocks

I don't think it matters what breed. It is a structural fault. Every dog has a hock, and sickle means it's not shaped right, sickle meaning bent.
If you look it up, there is a photo in the LRC breed standard book.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sickle Hocks

Excuse me, I was just wanting to know what breed a GDS is. My question did not refer to the subject of sickle hocks. I just do not know what breed the initials GDS refer to.

sorry, the info out there that is good on the net is very lacking, I didnt want to not give credit to where I got the definition from... nothing came up when you search labradors and sickle hock... German Shepherd Dog is at least the similar size so I went for it

http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/05_The_Hindquarters/The_Hindquarters.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sickle Hocks

Sorry
I would assume the OP meant GSD