Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
temp on pregnant female

okay everyone..i knew i'd need ya's again before our due date.
Fiesta is due in 2 weeks. my question is , today was day 50- i've been reading on here and questioning what i was going to start doing in regards to taking her temp.

My bible says day 59 to start taking temps.
I've read here we count day 1 as first breeding - and i've read we count day 1 when bitch hits 5.

so:::
april 9th she was 4.75 - bred on April 11th first time. do you all consider april 9th day one or april 11th day one? wondering if she's really day 50 or if she's actually day 52

Your opinions /advice are welcome

Re: temp on pregnant female

I count 63 days from date of ovulation, so 63 days from April 9th would be due date.
My girls ususally whelp day 62 or 63 according to that schedule.

June 11 is her due date. Most start taking temps a week before the due date, morning and night.

It's ok to start taking temperatures earlier if you are feeling unsure...

Re: Re: temp on pregnant female

thanks everyone....so i'll start temps on what would have been my 57th day instead of 59th from how i was counting.

that means earlier rather than later and if i hold my breath (hehehe) she'll have them in the day rather than night!

Thanks everyone! i knew i could count on ya's!

I've also been told that it's not a bad idea to take her temp a few times before that to get an idea of what is normal for her.

Re: Re: Re: temp on pregnant female

I would plan your due date for the 11th.

I would take her temp now to get her use to idea and to ease your own mind that she is not having infection. It will also keep you busy. ;)

How does it feel Tina? Bet you are fussing over her more than you did your own body when you were pregnant. ;)

Re: Re: temp on pregnant female - with question..

"How does it feel Tina? Bet you are fussing over her more than you did your own body when you were pregnant. ;) "

It feels WONDERFUL and fun and exciting! :-) It's our first litter, so you can all imagine the excitement, and it's been a long time coming. I got into Labs with the thought of breeding 8, almost 9 years ago. Took a long time to get to this point, but so very worth the wait!!! I would encourage everyone starting out to take their time researching and learning and meeting FABBO people like all of ya's first before jumping into it! I have a LARGE support group that i'm learning loads from!
as for fussing more than my own body when i was preggos, yup yup yup, but i did fuss with my first child.

I'm waiting for a call from vet though- question- my youngest son (5 years old) - woke up this morning with chicken pox! anyway, since it is a herpes virus, can it cross over to Fiesta in any way with her preggos? i'm a bit concerned, and confused with who to isolate- my girl or my child at this point.
thoughts? info ?

Re: Re: Re: temp on pregnant female - with question..

no worries on the chicken pox- herpes but not affecting canines. diff virus. PHEW>
so we are good to go- and stocked up on calamine for the itchy boy who is lucky he's not being isolated

Too funny! You would isolate the boy not the dog! lol

Re: Re: temp on pregnant female

only because the boy would have a room to himself with xbox, gameboy, gameboy advance, and nintendo DS. add a plate of cookies and a jug of milk and he's happy for quarantine. Fiesta on the other hand .....

hehehehe

Very true! My dogs certainly need Mom more than the kids do. And... They don't talk back. ;)

Will be anxious awaiting news of your arrival Tina. I am excited for you! :) It's June today! :)

Tina,

Do you have a list of potential puppy homes for this
litter yet? Are you planning to keep a boy or girl?
Come on girl, spill the beans.....

Jane
RRK Labs