Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rattlesnake Vaccine

As mentioned in a prior post, some folks use this vaccine, I don't know anything about it. Murph and I love to walk in the Sierra Foothills, but with the tall grass turning brown and the heat I have been reticent to continue our walks. What does the vaccine do? What could I possibly expect after a snake bite with a vaccinated dog? Are there health risks and/or side effects that would preclude me from using it? Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine

I live in the foothills near Fresno. All my dogs have had the shots. According to my vet the short widens the window so that appropriate treatment can be sought. The dogs will still have to be seen by a vet, but the treatment will end up costing very much less money.

Re: Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine

I just got off the phone with a friend, she was at the Veterinarian with her dog who was bit by a rattlesnake. Here are the links I found when I googled rattlesnake vaccine. http://www.redrockbiologics.com/
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html
She said a woman she knows who had her dog vaccinated still died when bit by a rattler.
The doctors I work with reccommend it and we have vaccinated several dogs. So far no adverse reactions.

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine (long reply)

The vaccine, unfortunately, hasn't been out long enough to truly know what any long-term effects will be. It is obviously considered a "non-core" vaccine according to the AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines, and thus, is not recommended except in certain situations.

I guess if you are in a high-risk situation, you could consider it. I know that it is does not eliminate the need for antivenin to be given (which can be $300-400/vial), and doesn't eliminate the need for other intensive treatments (IV fluids, hospitalization, antibiotics, antiinflammatories, etc.) if a vaccinated dog is bitten, but can lessen the effects (tissue necrosis and the like), especially if you are in an area without a veterinary nearby. Also- very few things, from vaccines to antivenin, work against bites from mojave green rattlesnakes from what I hear...unfortunately, the neurotoxin is usually what kills them.

My dogs have appointments for rattlesnake aversion training within the next 2 wks. I know several in this area (prime rattlesnake country) that have been through it and have been very pleased with results. One has had one of his dogs "alert him" (like a service dog) on about 3 different occasions to rattlesnakes that have entered his yard.

We have also put in "snake fencing" along the border of our yard that is up against a slope into a canyon (it is a small wire mesh that gets buried into the ground and comes up the fence a couple of feet) as well. Because of where we live, I don't let the dogs outside in the yard without us being there to supervise or scan the premises first.

I have been in the animal health profession now for 16 years, only give core vaccines right now, and have decided not to pursue the rattlesnake vaccine for a variety of reasons. I just don't feel that it has been "proven" enough (safety and efficacy) for me to feel comfortable recommending it or giving it myself. All vaccines carry risk, and I prefer to minimize those risks by not overvaccinating.

JMHO.