Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bare itchy raw spots

My nine year old black lab has raw seeping itchy spots that are really nasty looking. What causes these and what can i do to heal and prevent these?

Re: bare itchy raw spots

These are hot spots. Best to shave them, and clean them good, and put Gold Bond powder on to dry them up. If they are very bad, she will need an antibiotic. They can be very painful.

Re: bare itchy raw spots

Sometimes dampness causes the hot spots. At the very first sign of one clean it with hydrogen peroxide - let it dry - and then put Gold Bond Medicated powder on it. Sometimes this works - you'll have to be the judge of how bad a hot spot is - go to a vet and get medication.

Re: Re: bare itchy raw spots

The trick to getting that seepy hot spot to heal quicker is to keep it dry and clean. That Gold Bond really does work wonders. Try not to let her go swimming in dirty lakes and chlorinated pools that will irritate her hot spot.

If the hot spot has been bloody and going on for awhile, I would take her to your vets to see about getting on Clavomox and maybe a cortisone shot to bring the swelling down and make your dog more comfortable.

It's hard to understand just how bad your dog's hot spot really is but the Clavomox and Cortisone shot are used for more extremem hot spots, not your average hot spots. If the hot spot is really this bad, then you would need to shave the entire area of hot spot and a little around the perimeter .

Fleas and insect bites can cause the onset of a hot spot, humidity, swimming alot in water and then laying down alot, not allowing her coat to air out/dry. Sometimes, frequent hot spots throughout the year are caused from environmental allergies. I have one of those girls and all I do is give her a little dose of prednisone from time to time.

Usually with environmental allergies, the dog will have watery eyes, brown gunky ears at times, scratching itself all the time then comes the hot spots.