3. Salty Dog of Tampa Bay
4. Casbars Hart to Hart
5. Hyspire Slim Shady
6. Ghostones Hollywod Blond
7. Catch Cedarhill Sharpshooter
8. Belledins Bit of HOney
9. Janlons Light My fire
10. Lobuff Hyspire Lasting Impression

Thought everyone would like to see. I have a few personal favorites myself. Congrats to all!!!!

Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

Where is this listing from? Top ten in what?

http://www.caninechronicle.com/Statistics/Index.cfm

this may help

Doesn't *anyone* out there have a Special they can bring out???? Four of these dogs just SHOULD NOT be on this list!!

Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

and you do have your judges license, right?
You have laid hands on all 4 of the dogs that you say shouldn't be on this list, right?
please share your judging experience and credentials so your opinion can be judged on it's merit.
As a friend of one of these dogs, human nature makes me wonder if you are referring to that dog and consequently take offense

Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

I have to agree with "qustioning". There are dogs on this list that I am not particularly fond of and dogs that in my opinion should be ranked higher. However, that is only my opinion and that is all that it is worth!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

They would be ranked based on their wins this year. Maybe the dogs you and Questioning like the most aren't higher because they haven't been at many shows *or* haven't been able to win as much.

There are so many reasons why dogs are placed in the order they are but personal preference of the non-judges isn't one of them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

Sorry, have seen a couple of these dogs lately and I have to agree. Not sure how they would be on a top 10 Lab list. Not sure how they even made champion, oh wait, now I remember, a professional handler and $$$$$$$. But knowing and showing for years we do know what its all about. Two cents

Well, you can't win if you don't show up. And, if you show up and don't win week in and week out, then look at your dog and know your judges. Quite frankly it takes a lot of work to get ranked, regardless of anyone's personal opinion. These dogs work hard and you shouldn't slam them because you think they only win because of a handler and $$$. In a dog show, a dog still has to perform. I don't care how good your handler is, if the dog doesn't team up, they won't win.

Sour grapes does nothing but make bad "whine".

Talk about sour grapes. Let me guess, one of your dogs is not on there!! None of my dogs are on there, and since I'm not a judge, it's not up to me to decide who's on that list or not. You gotta play the game if you wanna win. We all have likes and dislikes, but do you really think a public forum is the place for such nasty, "poor me" comments.
Come on now, let's have a little bit of dignity and class such as the Labradors themselves do.

Chantel
PS. I think if you're going to sit and type such nasty things, at least have the guts to sign your real name!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

One more thing. Do you all ever get tired of dissing the fact that there are professional handlers on these dogs?!! Come on, it's their job. Do they sit and make snide remarks about your jobs?! Sometimes time constraints or simply lack of handling skills make it easier to use a handler. After all they have to earn a living too! And yes, before you ask, I do show my own dogs whenever possible, but gotta work too, to pay the entries, and sometimes can't be in two places at once, and have used handlers to keep the majors from breaking, so you make a choice.

Chantel

You know, this game is all about opinions. Judges have them. Good breeders have them. "Bad" breeders have them. JQP have them. I've got 'em and so do you.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and you don't have to be a licensed judge to have an opinion with merit.

If someone doesn't like four of the top ten dogs, so what? They didn't name the dogs, so the individuals haven't been disparaged. Why shouldn't people's opinions be expressed, as long as no individual is being dinged????

If more Specialty only people showed all-breed - the list would be different.

It's just a ranking. Just like vehicles - what ranks 1st may not be your style or fit your crates or be your "brand". Don't get bent out of shape over it.

not sure where your list came from-
but canine chronicles shows it different for the top 10 in all breed .

FYI:
01 CH Sharay's Nikolas Of Whidbey CD RN JH
02 CH Casbar's Hart To Hart
03 CH Hyspire Slim Shady JH
04 CH Ghoststone's Hollywood Blond
05 CH Simerdown's Dr Pepper
06 CH Owling's Ninebark Woodsman
07 CH Salty Dog Of Tampa Bay
08 CH Copperstill Fors Fortis
09 CH Double Dutch D'Artagnion RN JH NAP NJP
10 CH Catch Cedarhill Sharpshooter

and just as important- the top 10 of the BREED standings :
01 CH Hyspire Slim Shady JH
02 CH Ghoststone's Hollywood Blond
03 CH Copperstill Fors Fortis
04 CH Casbar's Hart To Hart
05 CH Sharay's Nikolas Of Whidbey CD RN JH
06 CH Owling's Ninebark Woodsman
07 CH Salty Dog Of Tampa Bay
08 CH Paradocs Tabatha's Pebble
09 CH Simerdown's Dr Pepper
10 CH Mar-Moye Rhiannon At Oakfell

My opinion, it's early in the year still, the numbers will change i'm sure, but i feel all the dogs are worthy to be on such a list. I wish my girl was on the list but she's loving homelife as much as her momma Lacey who happened to hold the #1 spot in breed standings month after month for the entire year last year.

No sour grapes here- CONGRATS to all those involved in the top 10, the top 20 and the top 30

Hi,

Unfortunately, for me and Striker (Ch JanLon's Light My Fire), the second list is more up todate. We have only been able to show at a few shows as I show him myself and I am a new grandmother!!!! Hopefully, we will be out more towards the end of the year and can move back up the list.

I would like to see his name in the top ten, but I am in this dog show game to have fun and because I enjoy my dogs. I am also able to show my dogs myself, others are not. If you can't show your dog yourself, why not get a professional handler?

Yes, they are good and have all kinds of things to make dogs look better. So what? I look at it as a challenge. I watch, I listen, I ask and I learn. Hopefully, it makes me better.

And boy when we beat the professional, it makes it all that much better!!!!!!

JanG

We all have our preferences. And Gina is right. If the dogs that many of us prefer were actively shown at all breed shows, the list would be different. I can spot at least one dog on the list that never set a paw in the ring at a specialty show. That's just the way it is. My very subjective top 10 or 20 list would look much different. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

Being in the top ten is all about who is able to get their dogs out the most. Of course, the dog must be decent, but it's all about either who has the most money or the most time on their hands.

There are plenty of dogs just as nice out there whose owners can't afford to show every weekend.

Responding to: "Being in the top ten is all about who is able to get their dogs out the most. Of course, the dog must be decent, but it's all about either who has the most money or the most time on their hands. There are plenty of dogs just as nice out there whose owners can't afford to show every weekend."

If you have a really really nice dog, and you are interested in competing him (her), and you don't have the money, find a sponsor - many of the top dogs are fully or partly sponsored by someone else.

If you have one of those really really nice dog, top handlers will want to show your dog, thus increasing the exposure of your dog and they will help you find a sponsor for your dog.

The key words are "really really nice" And if you have one of those, that dog not only wins all-breed shows, but they win specialties and supported entry shows as well.

Some really really nice dogs aren't shown much for one reason or another. But they still win when they do go out and show, often at specialties.

Beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder. Individual tastes vary. When a dog is in the top ten for breed, it pretty much means that in spite of individual variation, there is a whole lot of agreement on that particular dog being a really, really nice labrador!

Bonnie

really, really.

I see that the top dogs on both of the more recent lists- not to mention the top dog from last year- have a title behind their names, too. That JH makes them a really really nice dog in my book. I wish more people who special their champions wouldspend some of that time and money proving their working ability. Hats off to the people who do both!

Hey Tina,

My info came from the ShowSight catalog.

So, there ya go Miss Smarty Pants.

Read it and weep........

Make sure your list is correct, I don't think it is.

And how many CHAMPIONS have you bred? So what if these people used a "Handler" If they can afford it, more power to them.So until you have a CH. in your backyard, don't pick on the ones that do!

So it's the interpretation of really, really nice that might vary. To get a sponsor (purse strings to advertise the dog for all judges to see?) that dog or bitch should already have a CH and titles on the back end. If shown enough at all breed or specialties the numbers rack up, 2 + 2 = 4.

So you're saying either you need money for the other end of the leash, top handler this year and a possible money bag sponsor OR your dog or bitch better kick some you know what with their owner, handler.

I would honestly rather see the 2nd scenario of the two with the better looking and better producing dog or bitch. The heck with the top 10 list for a month or a year that no one seems to know exactly where it came from this moment. JMO. Wishing all good luck no matter how you handle it.

Well, I don't think there are a whole lot of sponsors out there. How many do you think there are who might be interested in sponsoring a lab. I've been around for a while and only know of one lab that was sponsored. Even that "really, really" lab did not set the dog world on fire. I see cobwebs forming over the breeder waiting for her dog's sponsor to come along.

"So it's the interpretation of really, really nice that might vary. To get a sponsor (purse strings to advertise the dog for all judges to see?) that dog or bitch should already have a CH and titles on the back end. If shown enough at all breed or specialties the numbers rack up, 2 + 2 = 4."

Of course, as I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was at show last year when someone brought into the ring a very field-bred dog. I am sure he was a very nice pet, and his young family, who was there watching him, probably dearly loved him, but he was not a conformation dog. The judge spent at least 10 minutes going over the dog with the owner, talking with her, and then comforting her. She withheld the ribbon and the woman left in tears.

I am sure that woman thought her was dog was very, very nice.

I am sure most people think their dog is very, very nice.

To win at a number of shows, you need to go to a number of shows, and have a really nice, nice dog. Just going isn't enough.

As for titles at both ends, I am personally for titles at both ends. I see them as important. Not everyone is or does. That is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

"So you're saying either you need money for the other end of the leash, top handler this year and a possible money bag sponsor OR your dog or bitch better kick some you know what with their owner, handler."

If you have the time to go to many, many shows, and you are comfortable and able to show your very very nice dog, go for it. You can certainly end up on top.

But even a dog with a "money bag sponsor" better kick some you know what if they want to end up at the top.

A good question is, why would anyone care about having their dog at the top anyway. Last year, when my Lacey was out as a special I used to make jokes to my friends about how we were really raking it in with all those stud fees she was getting!! (grin)

I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this - my girl loves to show, she digs the scene enormously and to my great surprise, an awful lot of all-breed and breeder judges dug her. So what was going to be a quick 6 show circuit for fun, became three months, became 6 months, became what the heck, finish the year.

In retrospect my husband and I are quite happy we did it, it built a lifetime of memories for us, we met many absolutely wonderful people along the way and we have a house decorated in "Lacey" to remind us of the very special times she gave us last year.

Bonnie

Miss Smarty Pants? gosh, hope you are just being playful rather than sarcastic.

was an honest question looking for a simple answer.
No weeping here. but thanks for the answer just the same.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey Tina,

My info came from the ShowSight catalog.

So, there ya go Miss Smarty Pants.

Read it and weep........

Perhaps it's due to the fact that we can't pull majors without a supported entry at an all-breed, which would bring the most exposure for a sponsor.

I haven't ever seen a non-all-breed-BIS dog of any in a dog food ad (at least not "So and so eats xyz brand"). I'm sure they're out there--but for the most part, they like to use dogs that people in other breeds recognize. And most people outside of Labs haven't a clue who is winning specialties.

"a dog with a "money bag sponsor" better kick some you know what if they want to end up at the top."

And more to the point, they'd better kick that you know what if they want to keep the sponsor and the opportunity.

"In retrospect my husband and I are quite happy we did it, it built a lifetime of memories for us, we met many absolutely wonderful people along the way and we have a house decorated in "Lacey" to remind us of the very special times she gave us last year."

I have on my living room wall, a photograph of my superdupernumberonebestboy's AOM at Westminster, framed with the medal and the ribbon. I can have an utterly craptastic day and look at that frame and I'm happy.

Or, I pass by the frame in my foyer, which contains the photo and the ribbons from his finishing wins at Skylands and I am moved to tears all over again.

And this, in a nutshell, is why we do it.

Never mind the rankings. I have the frames on my walls and the dog at my feet. That's all I need.

Top ranking dogs mean nothing to me!:) 90% of
them could not produce if their life depended
on it. The top producers on the other hand are
far more valuable needless to say.

I do disagree with some of you that say "My
Dog just loves to show" After awhile you KNOW
it's all about YOUR ego...$$$ really helps:(
We are NOT jealous, just wish we had the $$ to
get our own dogs out there also.

I have seen people with dogs that have
HD,ED,TVD,PRA,NO Teeth etc etc etc. But, they
were with top handlers and did not care:(
Taking points away from sound good looking dogs.
That really makes me mad.

My point.. It's a dog show people..

From the AKC Code of Sportsmanship

~Sportsmen commit themselves to values of fair play, honesty, courtesy, and vigorous competition, as well as winning and losing with grace.
~Sportsmen find that vigorous competition and civility are not inconsistent and are able to appreciate the merit of their competition and the effort of competitors.

I think if people actually lived the code, we would allow others to experience the joy in their successes rather than ruin it by making petty comments or expressing opinions that in reality are irrelevant. If something like a top 10 ranking means nothing to you, so what? It obviously means something to someone, so why waste space demeaning someone else’s moment? Move on to something that is more productive. I think if half the energy spent on belittling others was instead spent on training dogs, there would be a lot more dogs with working titles out there.

If you have the money and the desire you can do it--as simple as that. I remember certain folks from the LabsR4U list 10 years ago. Buy the best for the most $$ and then hire a handler. I also remember being told by one one these top ten about an index card file system telling of what judge likes what....times have changed with the computer and programs.

"I do disagree with some of you that say "My
Dog just loves to show" After awhile you KNOW
it's all about YOUR ego...$$$ really helps:( "

and i partially disagree with this. My two blacks i have here, one loves to show and one hates to show. the one that loves to show, i keep taking out as a special. the one that hates to show, i keep him home. With no youngster to show, my one that loves it, keeps me going out there and having fun. I'm not #1 in any country with her, but boy do i have fun with her myself. but like i said, i only partially disagree with your statement- just had to add my 2 cents in on this one.

"My point.. It's a dog show people.."

Hey, a point is a point right?? sorry, couldn't resist!

"I do disagree with some of you that say "My Dog just loves to show" After awhile you KNOW it's all about YOUR ego...$$$ really helps:(We are NOT jealous, just wish we had the $$ to get our own dogs out there also."

I think I was the only one who said my dog loves to show?

Yeah, actually it's true, my bitch Lacey loves to show. She digs it in a big way. She smiles, she wags and she prances. She adores the ring. I have a dog that hates to show. You know just like with people, some of us are shy and some of us loved to be noticed.

And yeah, it helps to have some discretionary cash. I work hard, 6 days a week, for mine. This is after I raised 5 children and sent them all to college and to graduate school. One of my children is a vet (yeah!) I paid off my last medical school loan in 1999. Now my youngest son is about to go to law school in September. If I ever have a really really nice dog that loves to show again, I will find a way to have some discretionary cash, probably by working even harder, so I can do law school for my son and whatever for my dog.

Congrats on your dog's nice wins in the past.

Bonnie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

I would think from your response YOU were the one being sarcastic.
But whatever, maybe your a newbe?
Dont you know the rankings come from different sources?
I was posting something that I thought people would like to see.
There are certain people who come on this forum, and only post that their dog is number one, or number 2. etc. So, I thought I would post the entire list, for all to see.
This forum should be about education.
Some use it to agrue, I am not here to do that.

Congrats to Bonnie and Tina.....

I think they've shown some class with their responses...and they have some gorgeous show girls...

JMHO....and I did have a dog that hated to show.
I am now training him for Dock Dogs. I already
have an award winning little girl that loves this venue.....hope we can get her uncle to enjoy it
as much.......

Jane Harford

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Labradors for April!!!

i don't believe i stated Miss Smarty Pants in my address to you, nor did i say "read it and weep". nor did i HaHa in smilies. so how you think of sarcasm coming from my side is beyond me. I have no qualms with you or what you originally posted.

Was a simple question- not sure where you got the standings from and that was all. I too am not here to argue- nor do i brag about only my wins. If you care to take this privately, my email is above.

And sure i realize rankings come from different sources, and because yours was different from the one i view, i shared the info from the source i saw most recently so i in turn questioned your source. really now, if you want to make it a big deal- send me an email and we'll chat some more about it.

"But whatever, maybe your a newbe?"

Gosh- what tipped you off? <<< that is sarcasm!

Get over it already.

How do you begin to train for dock dogs? Is there a training facility? I have one here that would just love that!

Here are some sites a friend of mine sent to me when I inquired about dock dogs. Unfortunately, there aren't any dock dog comp or clubs near me. Hope you have better luck.

http://www.dockdogs.com/

http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/dockdiving.html

I just take mine swimming as often as I can get them
out. There are training things that you can do with
jumping and distance even on land, too.

My little girl is just a natural. She loved it from
the first time I had her at an event. She won a novice
regional title that weekend.

I have three other boys. I have tried one entered
already,...he just wanted to swim, not jump.
#2 was scared to even walk up the steps(metal and open)
#3 is my oldest boy. I think he would be good at
it since he also likes to jump high.

Reading the website is a great way to get started.

Jane and Peanut/Olivia...my jumping girl

Replying to:
>>>"Not sure how they even made champion, oh wait, now I remember, a professional handler and $$$$$$$. "<<<

This is so frustrating for me to discuss. I too am frustrated by professional handlers taking the day at some events, seemingly just because they're professional handlers. Yet, I have been grateful to have my dog handled by a professional handler (yes, it is very expensive, and for me, it is very difficult to pay the price), and therein lies my frustration.

I had a severe back injury, and a subsequent surgery that took me out of the ring (and off the end of a leash) for better than two years. I am lucky to be walking. The emergency surgery saved the nerves, and left me very close to normal. But showing dogs was at first impossible, and later dangerous, and I used a professional handler during that time. Against Dr's advice (he did not want me running around a ring with a dog *ever*) I built my strength, lost weight to decrease the potential for injury, and after several years, got back in the ring with my own dogs, and have had a ball (win or loose). I guess my vindication against those who were overheard to say my dog finished because he was under a handler (folks should be careful about talking at ringside), was when I handled him last Fall to back-to-back BISS wins.

Then...I hurt my foot, not once, but twice in the last seven months. Now I am looking at extensive foot surgery (pins, plates, tendon release, bone grafts... etc.)next month, and the surgeon says to expect a full year of healing (a minimum of eight weeks before he will permit any weight bearing at all).

So, here I am at another crossroads with my dogs. My body has betrayed me yet again, and I'm angry that just when I have dogs I feel are worthy, and I'm again enjoying my part in the sport, I am looking at yet another year or more of being unable to show them.

I could lean on friends, beg favors, and hope to have someone show my dog, but we know that much of showing is the established relationship between handler and dog. Having different people show at different times, throws the dog off. We also know that in dogs (males) especially, there is a great deal of competition, and one wants the best person possible (read that the most experienced) to show our dog to the best of its ability.

Okay... I am faced with three choices:
1. Sell the dogs and give up.
2. Rely on friends who may or may not be available, and who may or may not have their own dog to show.
3. Use a professional handler.

I'm seriously thinking of option three. So, when and if my dogs do win, there will be a good number of narrow visioned people who will exclaim "the dog only won because of the handler". Others will say "for years, she has only used professionals on her dogs". ... and there will be people, having no personal knowledge of my woes, who will believe the nasty comments they overhear, and assume the dogs couldn't win were it not for politics.

All I can say, folks, is I fully understand the frustration of entering "handler shows", only to build a major for a professionally handled dog, and I also understand the need for hiring a professional.

So, "Southland Breeder", since you seem to have the answers, what should I do to avoid those of you who would make snap judgments on why folks use a professional?

If all of this has taught me anything, it has been to reinforce that I should never assume anything, and to keep my thoughts to myself when I don't know everything I need to know to form an educated opinion.

Dian

Dian

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your recent injuries and a successful surgery on your lower extremity. I am not in a positon to advise you.. wishing you the best in whatever you decide. Please don't worry what others think, do what is best for you and your dogs!
I wouldn't give up if I were you nor would I worry about what anyone else thought about using a handler( if you can financially afford it) . Do what you want to do without the worries of what others think especially given your health predicaments. GL and GH!
P.S. Do you have any friends that can take your dogs in for you to spare the expense of a handler? Isn't that what friends should be there for?

What might apply here is the old saying - that the proof is in the pudding - 5 or 10 years from now - what dog has had any (positive) influence on the breed? That is what we might measure.

Congratulations to all of the Labradors on the top ten list(s). And to the breeders, owners and handlers.

Can't wait to see May - it's been a while since I followed the Labrador rankings and this could be fun!

>>Do you have any friends that can take your dogs in for you to spare the expense of a handler? Isn't that what friends should be there for?<<

Oh... many!! I've already had offers, and that is absolutely on the table. But, in the end, I will have to make the decision on what is best for all concerned.

The point I was making, is that there are reasons, other than a political edge, that folks may use a professional handler. People should think before they speak. Just when you think you know the answers, you find you know very little.

To the person who suggested that the proof is in the pudding (in the future), I agree, however, I promise you this, being the #1 dog does not guarantee you'll have any impact on the breed whatsoever, because being #1 doesn't bring the bitches to your male. There are many dogs who never earned a point, who made quite an impact on the breed, and had many more breedings than the top dogs of the day. Smart breeders, when selecting a stud dog, consider a CH. just part of the picture.

Dian