Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dogs dandruff

In answer to your earlier question, i feed him purina complete nutrition dog food, how do you skin scrape?

Re: dogs dandruff

Personally, I would try a better grade dog food. Something with limited and natural ingredients. Look into foods such as Solid Gold, Innova, Canidae (again, I know everyone has their own opinion on food and this is mine). Your vet can do a skin scraping to make sure the dog doesn't have mange, etc.

A friend of mine had a dog with pretty bad 'allergies' -she was constantly taking him to the vet, he was itchy, had hot spots all the time, red feet, etc. I recommended she put him on Solid Gold Millenium - within 3 months he was 100% better. These foods are more expensive but so are vet visits.

Re: Re: dogs dandruff

Where do you find that kind of food and how "expensive" is it?And will different kind of food help his coat? It use to be really shiny but now looks dull.

You can google the names and you'll find websites for the food. They will list locations that sell the food. You usually don't find these foods in the big chain pet stores. I buy mine at a great feed store in the area. Canidae is about $29 for #40 but under the breeders program you get one bag free for every five you buy. Not sure what Solid Gold is running nowadays - probably around $40??

Re: Re: dogs dandruff

Thanks. Is there any brands that are good but are a little less expensive. We are on a fairly limited budget right now. And any thing else you can suggest would be appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: dogs dandruff

Man....I wish canidae was 29$ here in Florida! I pay almost 43$ a bag at our feed store....I am about to order through a company called petpointe that has a deal for 200 pounds at 175$ including shipping. (35$ a bag..5 bags)
Annie

Could you feed Purina ProPlan? Its a little more expensive than Purina, but its ingredients are better and is probably cheaper than the other options - not exactly sure on the prices here. I know a lot of people that feed it and have good results.

Have heard of many folks on this and other forums
feed the internal dog food brand from Costco......

Will be looking at it it myself for the future...

Jane