Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies with diarrhea

I know this question has been asked numerous times before, but what is the best method of treatment for 10 day old puppies with diarrhea? Thanks!

Re: Puppies with diarrhea

Yogurt - or even faster is a probiotic paste like Fasttrack.

Re: Re: Puppies with diarrhea

Depends on what is causing the diarrhea. Is it coccidiosis????? or something else?????

Re: Re: Re: Puppies with diarrhea

They are too young for Coccidia, probably they are getting too full. as long as the following conditions exist:
The mom does not have a temperature and her poop is normal...
Her milk glands feel soft and normal...
and:
they are gaining and the babies poop smells and looks normal, I would not worry.

If all the conditions are still OK in another week but the stools are still squirty, get a culture done on the moms milk just in case.

Make sure they are not too hot!

Try an old time antibiotic used now for mostly swine and poultry, called Tylen powder. Give an eighth of a teaspoon in MOM'S food, one time/per day. Usually one or two doses firm up the babies stools. It taste terribel so try mixing it with a little cottage cheese or wet food. You can buy Tylen powder at most feed stores. It will not hurt mom at all. I have used it with the puppies themselves when they are older and eating solid food. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Puppies with diarrhea

Tylan does work...have used also, even if caused from the heat.

If it's too hot try cooling it down before dispensing any medication. If that doesn't work I would take stool samples in to your vet (pups not neccesary unless dehydrated) to be sure you know what you're dealing. Each issue could require a different medication.

Cheers

You might just be over feeding the mother. I don't think I would be giving much to pups that small. Try to figure out why they have it first. Just sounds like hoggies to me.