Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
entropion question

Has anyone ever had an adult Lab diagnosed with entropion? I always thought it was apparent from puppyhood, but a five-year-old Lab that I bred was recently determined to have it. There was no indication of anything wrong when she was a pup. Is adult onset entropion common? Should I recommend a second opinion?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

Barb

Re: entropion question

Some years ago a dog from my first litter developed entropian around 1 year of age. He definitely did not have it as a small puppy (8 weeks) here. He was returned due to owner circumstances (friend of my husband who moved and couldn't take him) - we did surgery and he went on to a career as a service dog. No problems after it was fixed.

Re: Re: entropion question

I would definitely encourage them to see an ACVO and get a 2nd opinion.
I had a pup who was thought to have entropion. What he actually had was a spastic reaction to irritation in his eye. Once the pain was removed, the lids were fine. The squinting, watering and irritation was a reaction to something else... stray lids, dirt, dust, foreign object and not anything structurally wrong with the lids. The acvo put him on anesthetic drops and once the pain was removed from the equation the lids were perfectly normal.
Entropion is either congenital or spastic for the most part. The congenital type is usually diagnosed when the dog is a young pup or very young adult.

Hi Barbara,
Yes entropion can present in an adult dog, had this happen some years back in one I bred - he was +/-2 yrs. He lives with a family, so it's possible the condition was gradually coming on but they didn't know or recognize it. It was surgically repaired and he's been fine ever since. No siblings or others in his line have ever had it.
I agree that getting a 2nd opinion by a DACVO is a good idea before making any decisions..
Cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Has anyone ever had an adult Lab diagnosed with entropion? I always thought it was apparent from puppyhood, but a five-year-old Lab that I bred was recently determined to have it. There was no indication of anything wrong when she was a pup. Is adult onset entropion common? Should I recommend a second opinion?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

Barb

It sounds like an injury to me that might make it appear like entropian. If it didn't show for 5 years I highly doubt it is the same entropian a 7 week puppy or older would have.

Did the dog pass a CERF exam or see an ACVO in the past or now? If not now I would recommend the owner does see one.

I hope it all passes, sounds like a reaction to something.

I have a girl who developed entropian when she was maybe 3. Her allergies got so bad that eventually the skin around her eye turned in. So, I know that allergies can cause it to happen, but I don't know if anything else can cause it to happen later in life. We had the surgery & did her spay simultaneously, and her eye is great now.