Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ivomec for puppies

I use the Ivomec injectable (given orally) on my adult dogs doing the 1/10th cc monthly. I am not sure as to when I would start my puppies. They are 15 weeks old now. How much and when should I start giving it to them? I am assuming they would start now, but I am not sure on the dosage for a 25 - 30 lb puppy. Do I need to test them first? Our mosquitos are ABUNDANT!

Re: Ivomec for puppies

14 cc. of Ivomec (inject) to 86 cc proylene glycol...makes 100 cc of wormer. Give 1 cc per 10 pounds for adults and 0.1cc, (using a 1 cc TB syringe) per pound for puppies...Give orally...can use at 3 to 4 weeks old and is OK to give to preg. females. I start mine at 5 weeks old. This is quoted from Revival wormer sheet. You can order the propylene glycol from them or get it from your pharmacy. Cheaper through Revival. According to what you are giving even undeluted is not near enough...you may have to have them tested.

Re: Re: Ivomec for puppies

Don't give Ivomec to herding dogs!

It seems 1.cc per 10 lbs. of body weight is way too high.......My Vet told me years ago it was .10 cc per 10 lbs. adult dog or 1.cc for 100 lb dog.......

Re: Re: Re: Ivomec for puppies

That dose your vet gave you is not reconstituded with the propylene glycol...again if anyone would like a copy of the Revival med sheet...e-mail me and I'll send you a copy, put Ivomec in the subject line. Reconstituting it makes it a better carrier body for the med...and makes a much more accurate dosing.

Um, Isn't .10 for 10 lbs the SAME as 1 for 100 lbs?????
Last time I checked there were 10/10ths in a cc

I was told by my Vet that you don't use the liquid Ivomec for dogs under 1 year of age. I use it for my grown dogs, but they don't start it until they are atleast a year old. I assume that what she told me is true. She said that it can damage the liver of pups. I assume that what she told me is true, but others may have been told something different by their Vet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ivomec for puppies

Yes, you had said your vet told you 1/10 cc for 10 pounds, correct? But that was STRAIGHT Ivomec, no propylene glycol added...you add 86 cc of propylene glycol and 14 cc of Ivomec and it DILUTES the Ivomec to requiring 1 cc per 10 pounds of body weight. The original post said he/she gave 1/10 cc PER dog, not enough.

In my experience, I have never had a problem using it at 5 weeks..I give at 5, 7 and 9 weeks and then once a month year round. It is the same drug no matter it's form. You can look up Ivomec and get the side effects of it, but all meds may have side effects and some dogs/puppies may have a reaction, but chances are if they react to it in one form they will react to it in another form.

I understand what you are saying, and don't have any real reason to disagree. However, I have no problem doing the pills for the pups, and the liquid for the older guys. For whatever reason, my Vet does not recommend it, so I have just chosen to follow her recommendation. I am glad that it works for you, and maybe at some point I will use it for pups too. It certainly is a lot cheaper.

Our vet said it is fine for all ages as it is Ivermectin. And well, Ivermectin is Ivermectin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ivomec for puppies

It could be that your vet is not recommending it due to the extreme small dose it would require for a small puppy. You have to have 1cc syringes for you can accurately dose into 10th's of a cc.
A mistake can be deadly

This is the dosage I was given. This can also be found on the interenet.

0.0015 to 0.003 mg/pound once a month for heartworm prevention - 0.15 mg/pound (0.3 mg/kg) once, then repeat in 14 days for skin parasites

I do not start them on Ivomec until they hit 50 pounds. Before then, they are on Heartguard tablets.

Ok,everyone....so what are the symptoms of of an Ivermectin overdose?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ivomec for puppies

We have started using it at the 7 week worming. Our vet mixes it for us as it is exactly what they use. We have had problems with Nemex 2 eliminating the worms in our babies, our vet told us that round worms are starting to develop a resistance to pyrantel pamoate.
We have learned the hard way through a couple of litters to wait until they are around 7 weeks of age before using it. The first time we did it at 5 weeks and it really upset their stomach. They developed the squirts and would just pick at their food the next 24 hours. We went a couple of litters at 7 weeks with no problems at all, then we tried it at 6 weeks and the whole litter had very loose stools for about a day.
We now use Nemex for the 3 and 5 week worming and the Ivomec for the 7 week one. For sure it does the trick!

Ivomec OD

From the Peteducation.com site

Dogs: Ataxia, abnormal behavior, depression, vomiting, dilated pupils, and drooling. Other signs include disorientation, hyperesthesia, restlessness, stiffness, sleepiness, whining, groaning, head pressing or bobbing, aggression, chewing fits, apprehension, decrease in heart rate, seizures, hyperthermia, weakness, breathing difficulties, and cyanosis. Severe intoxication results in signs of shock, pulmonary edema, breathing difficulties, increase in heart rate, muscle tremors, coma, and death. In dogs, where ivermectin has caused death of microfilarias (immature heartworms), anaphylactic reactions may be the cause of the signs noted