Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Car fans for keeping dogs cool

Someone mentioned in a previous post about something rechargeable to run fans in the car.

I need some ideas for fan cooling in my van. The fans that plug into the cigarette lighters work best, but after a long period of time, it drains your vehicle battery. The battery operated fans are ok, but in the heat and humidity of the south, don't seem to be sufficient.

What are others doing to keep the dogs cool in a vehicle...specifically, do you have other power sources for dog shows to save your car battery? Any other types of higher powered fans that are bigger than the 8 inch cigarette plug ins?

Sure, you can turn the car on every once in a while, but my barn doors on the van open up at the exhaust pipe. I don't want to gas the dogs..

Sue

Re: Car fans for keeping dogs cool

I keep used milk jugs, plastic juice containers and such, fill them with water and freeze them. I will stick a couple in each dog's crate for them to lie against. Then, when the ice is melted I just use the water for them to drink.

Another suggestion is to flip your crate pans upside down and put ice sheets (I have these) underneath the pans.

I've also tried Cool Mats but those won't work well if you have chewers. There are several other brands of cooling mats but I haven't purchased them so can't attest to how well they may work.

As for fans, I haven't found those made specifically for dogs/crates to be all that effective. However, I have several 02 Cool Fans that run off of 8 "D" batteries or via an included AC adaptor. I really like these fans and will probably purchase a few more for this summer.

Jeanine

Cabana solar screens draped over the windows reduces glare & sunrays and heat tranfer into the car.
http://www.cabanasolarscreens.com

I just started doing some research on what is called an inverter.(sp?) You charge it for 72 hours and you can run a good sized fan off of that power all day. Sears has them - not sure of the price - I just heard about them yesterday.

Re: Re: Car fans for keeping dogs cool

I have one, only mine is the smaller size. They are so handy to have. I think zi paid about $40 fo it at WalMart.