Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sealing Kennel Floors

I am planning to seal/paint my inside kennel floor. I have painted it in the past, but the paint peeled and I had to scrape it off. I now have an epoxy shield basement floor coating(the kind that you sprinkle the paint chips on top) and was planning to apply that, but am concerned that this too will peel.

I would like to hear what others have used with success in their kennels. Are there products to apply before the epoxy that will help with moisture/peeling?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Sealing Kennel Floors

I have always used an industrial type concrete sealant. It sprays on clear and leaves a bit of a glossy sheen. You are supposed to re-apply every 3 or 4 years but I never did.

At 10+ years on both concrete slabs that I applied it on the sealant was still working GREAT when I sold the place last year! No odor, water beads up and runs off. Sorry though, it's been to long for me to remember the name of the stuff.

Re: Re: Sealing Kennel Floors

We just built our home last year and I sealed the concrete in our kennel with a special concrete sealer and applied three coats of a semi-transparent stain, topped with two coats of industrial waterproof concrete sealer on top that gave a nice shine to it.

Given the state of landscaping (or lack thereof) at the end of the fall last year, we had no grass until this year so I was hosing our dogs off multiple times a day and squiggeing the floor as many times (I am a neat freak). Early this year, the sealer was bubbling up and peeling. I was so disappointed after all the work we'd put into prepping the floor and I wasn't about to commit to dismanting our kennels every year to reseal.

Before Potomac, we dismanted our kennels and had 18 x 18 frost proof tile installed with epoxy grout--. I arrived home on Sunday to find a beautifully finished kennel area that is now waterproof, sealed, with a textured finish that I will never have to worry about. It really makes a difference. It is also so easy to clean and the epoxy is great for sanitation (doesn't hold stains or bacteria).

I wish I had better suggestions for concrete, but it just didn't work for us. Good luck!!

Hello,
Make sure that the floor is not experiencing moisture problems. Tape a
plastic square to the floor (use duct tape and tape around the whole
perimeter of the plastic). Allow this to stay on the floor for one or two
days. Check to see if moisture is present between the floor and the
plastic. If moisture is present painting should not be attempted. If the
area is still dry then the surface can be painted. Clean the surface to
remove all contaminants. If the surface is smooth, phosphoric acid or use
Clean and Etch to etch the surface to create a profile. Two coats of
ArmorSeal 1000 HS over the ArmorSeal 33 Epoxy/Primer Sealer should be
applied to the prepared concrete.

Re: Re: Sealing Kennel Floors

Thanks for the tips and first hand experience. The tile is one alternative if the epoxy paint/sealer doesn't do it this go around. Thanks for the private emails also!

I have been instructed to put plastic on the ground before poring concrete to prevent moisture leaking through, at least 4 mil.