Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whelping box ideas? Helping foster Mom.

A friend asked me to come up with some whelping box ideas for Labs today.

If you did not have a whelping box, what would you use?

I have heard of swimming pools. Other ideas? I think Vari kennel would be too small?

Re: Whelping box ideas? Helping foster Mom.

I made mine with 2X2's, 1X10's, and closet rods. I think you can see how it's made at the following picture link: http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd00b3127cce823ac76d829500000016108QZsXDFu3aa
It's not terribly cheap with the high cost of lumber, but it is very easy to put together.

Re: Re: Whelping box ideas? Helping foster Mom.

OMG! Forget the box, look at those puppers!
What an adorable pic!
Just want to snuggle those fat little guys:)
Annie

Hard to get pig rails in a kiddy pool..you could use that later on. That box pic is great! Xpen around the outside should be nice and tight to the box so no one gets out.

We use shelving board that has a formica feel to it (easy to clean), and the boards are 12" high. Then we attach 3" PVC around the middle all the way around with PVC elbows in the corners. Here is a picture of ours.
http://www.bbflabradors.com/Just%20born4.jpg

It is very easy to make and take apart and store when not in use. I have seen a pup move all the way around the back of the bitch while she was laying up against the wall, and never touched the pup. The 3" PVC provides ample room for the pups to stay safe.

No need for pig rails in swimming pools. There are no corners, just curves so the pups slide right out. Pups do not get trapped in them.

Laurie, Just wondering how is the PVC attached to the board?

TIA

Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas? Helping foster Mom.

It is attached with screws. I love it. I have checked on mom and pups several times and found mom laying up against the PVC and a pup safely underneath it. If the PVC hadn't been there, they may have been laid on.