Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cataracts

Well I just had a young dog not pass her cerf.
Do to a cataract. Anyone have any ideas, other then this being a genectic thing. Would it be a cataract from an injury.? I know that happens in humans. Does it in animals.?
What a surprise. Just sick over this.
It's small. She is entered in a show next weekend.
with a optigen clinic.

Re: Cataracts

Sorry about the diagnosis for your girl.
What type of cataract was it? Posterior Polar?, punctate? Any loss of lens transparency is technically a cataract. Cataracts can be genetic or acquired. Didn't the ophthalmologist give you any more details?

Re: Re: Cataracts

Posterior , Axial, capsuler Not punctate,
Is what he wrote on a note to me.
I don't know anything about cateracts.Because I have never had trouble with them.
I know the terminology. And I know they can be genectic.
Can they be from an injury?. And if they can be from an injury can the ophthalmologist Tell whether it's genectic or injury by looking at it.?

Re: Re: Re: Cataracts

That type of Cataracts is Hereditary.

Optigen is trying to make a test for Cataracts.

INHERITED CATARACTS

Modeled on our PRA research program, these projects are aimed at identifying the genes and mutations responsible for specific cataracts found in certain breeds. There are many types of cataracts but we are studying only 2 types at this time:

· Bilateral, Posterior Subcapsular type that develops between 1.5 yrs and 3 yrs of age in the following breeds: Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Rottweilers and English Springer Spaniels

· Bilateral Posterior Cortical type that develops between 1 yr. and 3 yrs of age in the Siberian Husky, Samoyed and the Alaskan Malamute

The 3 steps for submitting cataract samples for research are the same as those for submitting PRA research samples (as described above).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cataracts

With this type of cataract you said it usually is found in dogs 1.5- 3 yrs. Can it be found at an earlier age. Before 12 mos.? Very interesting Thanks for the info.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cataracts

Yes, it can be found at an earlier age. When an age range is given for a condition, that is indicative of the age of most affected dogs when first diagnosed and therefore considered "normal range". There are always a few who will show the condition earlier or later than the "normal" age range. I have known Labradors to be affected as early as 6 mos.

Re: Re: Re: Cataracts

Posterior is on CERF site as showing up from .5 to 1.5 in age (Affected dogs should not
be bred, examine parents.) Here is the link to read about them. They say the are inherited.

http://www.vmdb.org/aug01.html#dxspot

I would recommend getting a second opinion at the next CERF clinic and ask about doing the sample for Optigen.

Punctate Cataracts are Breeder's Option. But Posterior are not. The dog will not get a CERF Number. Punctate are from an injury. They tell by the shape of the cataracts and where they are located, which type they have.

Posterior should be in both eyes. Punctate would be like one eye. Does she have a cataract in both eyes?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cataracts

No it was found in only 1