Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earthworms and dangers

I have been asked to post this saga here so others will be aware of this potential danger. The following is the journal of our recent experience:

DeDe began giving birth on Wed, April 18th, but was not due until the 21st. She had 6 live pups and labor stopped. Thursday morning the 19th she had a c-section to deliver 2 more pups, 1 live (actually was born "dead" but revived). DeDe had to be spayed due to condition of her uterus from the one dead puppy. This was her first and last litter. That made the total count of 7 weak puppies.

DeDe refused food, which is not uncommon with new stressed moms, but she would eat some from my hand and would drink water, eat ice cubes and frozen gator aide. This continued and her milk supply began to dwindle. We began supplementing the puppies and DeDe's milk came back, but she began throwing up and the puppies began to fade and die. She was put on medication for vomiting and she and pups were given fluids.

Yesterday morning (April 25th) we only had 2 live pups, one male and one female. DeDe was hospitalized with renal failure, cause unknown at this time. The toxics in her body most likely got to her milk and caused the puppies to die. DeDe never displayed any symptoms of illness, other than vomiting. She was active and alert, with no fever. Her survival depends on severity of the condition, finding the cause and ability to treat appropriately. We lost the final male puppy last night, but have one female living and getting stronger.

Needless to say, it has been an emotional and draining week here. We can always second guess ourselves with "should've, would've, could've", but it serves no purpose other than to intensify and prolong the pain. We use it to learn.....

We have lost puppies in the past, which is not uncommon but not preferred. We have even lost a litter of 12 and the mother due to septic. We have had to have our foundation female put down due to kidney cancer. All of this was painful, but as breeders we know that things don't always go as we plan and there is always a risk involved in breeding one of our beloved girls. The best we can do is make sure they are healthy and fit before breeding and during the pregnancy. The results is often out of our hands.

Updates:
4/26
Just talked to vet - DeDe still vomiting and they are still pushing fluids - the titer (blood culture) takes minimum of 2 days, so may have results tomorrow. In the meantime she is being treated with amoxicillin, another antibiotic and meds for vomiting. Vet will do another in-house blood test in morning to check kidney functioning level and if it has improved. I plan to visit DeDe in morning (had tornado warning this morning and could not leave). The surviving female puppy is still with us and gaining ground.

There were numerous tests done, all negative. This is the results we were waiting to see...

4/30
DeDe's test results are better today - negative for Leptospirosis - Bun and Crea much lower, although still not in normal range. Phos is in normal range Vet will stop antibiotics and continue fluids and nausea meds. and kidney meds. Puppy is doing fine - gaining weight, although still very small for her age, and yes she is staying here.

We do not know what caused the renal failure, but it is my understanding that there are still a lot of unknowns regarding the foods.

5/2/07

visited DeDe this morning and took Angelo. Attached are the tests on DeDe taken this morning. She has come a long way from last Wed. when her Bun was 64, Crea 8.1 and Phos 7.1. She is no longer vomiting and they are beginning solid foods today. She continues IV and Lasic (sp) for kidneys. She ate some food from my hand and crawled in my lap for loving, but was ready to go back in cage because of fatigue.

Vet checked out Angelo and she is fine (heart, lungs, etc) but still needs to gain more weight, although she has begun to gain rapidly. She is getting strong and willful, but loves her pacifier (have to get picture of this!).

DeDe immediately knew Angelo and began cleaning her and "checking her out". Angelo responded with the typical puppy noises to her mom. We did not allow them to cuddle, only sniff and get reacquainted. DeDe is weak and has lost a lot of weight, so care has to be taken not to over-whelm her or tire her. She was alert and responsive to me, even gave me a tail wag and perked ears.

DeDe came home today, very thin and tired after 11 days in hospital. Yesterday her veins began to collapse, so IV's were difficult. She was ecstatic to be home, running around the yard, rolling in the grass and being the normal DeDe, but tiring quickly and now snoozing.

Here is a new one for most, if not all of you, and a first for my vet - cause of renal failure was Capillaria plica, transmitted by earthworms! Here is a link to read more

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?
cfile=htm/bc/130505.htm

The day she went to the hospital she vomited 2 earthworms, but at the time we saw no significance. During my research on canine renal failure I found vague references to earthworms and uncommon occurrence, so I explored further and requested a urine analysis. Sure enough, eggs were found in the urine! It is treatable (albendazole), which we are trying to locate locally (cattle wormer!) or high doses of Ivermec, which is the route we took.

Final words:
DeDe is much better, gaining weight and active. The puppy, Angelo, is neurologically healthy although very small.

I do hope some of you find this information helpful - you just never know what can happen....

Marian Gardner
Dewberries Labradors
www.dewberrieslabradors.com

Re: Earthworms and dangers

Marian:
Many thanks for sharing your painful story. I couldn't be happier for you that DeDe and Angelo are doign well. Who would have ever guessed?
God Bless!

Marian,

I am so sorry for the loss of your babies and all your worries about DeDe.

What next? Who would have ever thought earth worms could do this?

Thank you so much for sharing your painful experience so that others may be helped.

So glad DeDe is recovering and your baby is thriving.

I have never heard of this, how strange. So sorry for your loss. Breeding does take a strong heart. I'm glad your girl is doing better now.

Re: Re: Earthworms and dangers

I am so sorry to hear about all DeDe has been through. I am so glad you were able to solve the problem and share it with us. I am also so happy to hear that she has one puppy to love as well......Kisses to them and hold them tight......

Once again we learn from each others' experiences...both positive and heartbreaking! Thank you for sharing your story.

Best of luck to you, DeDe and Angelo.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your pupppies and the toll that it took on DeDe. There is nothing worse than the feeling of dispair.

I have a question if not too much bother.
You mentioned "albendazol" (it is brand named Valbezon, comes in a white bottle and is in the cattle wormer) at Tractor Supply....I use this when an animal won't gain weight and no other reason is obvious. I have mentioned on this forum my father's hound dogs...they go thru these stages every Spring and Fall of losing weight, and I have 1 male Lab that does also. I have made it a practice to worm with this wormer every ther month and it seems to work for me. It is almost instant, the difference, I mean withen a day or 2 they are picking weight up and looking like a million bux. I never have probs with tapes or whips or really any other worms for that matter. Was their a preventative dose that your vet recommended. I have the dose for dogs as 1 cc per 10 pounds, ADULT dogs only. A friend of mine raises Boxers and she has had the same results as I with them and some of those are hard keepers.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Re: Earthworms and dangers

No, there was no preventative dosage recommended. But, it is interesting that you mentioned hook worms as we have had a problem with them this year, the first time ever! I will investigate that too! Thanks.

I want to thank everyone for their responses and concern. It is heartwarming to find truly caring dog owners that are not prone to lecture and admonish.