Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Supplements

Hi! I am sure that this topic has come up many times before, but I am new to the forum...so here goes.

What is the feeling out there about giving supplements to dogs? I am talking about MSM and those types of things. I give my older boy Synovi MSM, I am hoping that this will be a preventative measure for any future joint problems. Is there a better product than Synovi? Are there other supplements I should be giving?
Also for puppies, what if anything should be given to them?

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Supplements

Personally, I would give them a good balanced food and try to feed a bit of raw (marrow bones, carrots, apples, etc). I do give my older dogs Cosequin and GlycoFlex as well as Vitamin C.

Another breeder had given me the idea to feed canned fish, whatever was on sale, mackeral, salmon, tuna...I have fed this twice a week for over a year and the dogs love it! Their coats look great, they devour it and it makes them happy. I even give to my puppies, about a 1/2 teaspoon every other day, I get so many compliments on their shiny coats and I really think it's the fish. For them to look this good it has to be beneficial. Start out slow to get them use to it but it warms the heart to see how much they love it, they should furnish towels as they drool as soon as they hear that can opener. They like the canned mixed vegies too, I get them at Aldi's for .29 a can and pour over their food. I can will top dress 3 adult dogs food bowls. Same with the fish unless I get a really good buy then I'll split a can between 2. I also use Red Cell..( it's made for horses) and Missin Link Plus. Doc Roy's makes several excellent suppliments too. 100% guaranteed or YMB.

Forgot about that - I also give them sardines as a snack at least once a week.

I eat halibut at least twice a week and my hair is beautiful.

Re: Re: Supplements

Love dog kisses. Dog breath is bad enough, don't think I want fish breath.

x-tra fish oil

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi! I am sure that this topic has come up many times before, but I am new to the forum...so here goes.

What is the feeling out there about giving supplements to dogs? I am talking about MSM and those types of things. I give my older boy Synovi MSM, I am hoping that this will be a preventative measure for any future joint problems. Is there a better product than Synovi? Are there other supplements I should be giving?
Also for puppies, what if anything should be given to them?

Thanks for any and all help!

I only give my pups vit C at 125mg per 25 lbs of body weight.

By one year + I also begin giving selenium w/vit. e (as an antioxidant), alfalfa, biotin (if needed for coat along with B-complex), fish body oil capsules.

Glucos/Chond. for seniors