Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sex of pups

I understand that male sperm swim faster, but die quicker. If you breed a bitch and apparently catch her late in her cycle, how many of you have had mostly males? Apparently we bred Onyx on the late side of her cycle, and by x-ray she is only having 2 pups. Now I am praying to the Whelping Gods that one of them will be an awesome bitch puppy.

So, has anyone out there had really small litters with females in them?

Re: Sex of pups

We have had 3 litters with only 2 pups. Two of the litters were both boys and one litter was one boy and one girl.

I just had a singleton baby female!
She's gorgeous!

Re: Re: Sex of pups

Thanks, there is still hope! However, don't get me wrong, I will feel blessed with anything I get. It is just that I love Onyx so much and in case I never breed her again, I would love to have a female from her.

Last year, we bred our girl Emma naturally. We noticed her heat late and only got one tie on the last day of standing heat. She had 3 puppies, one boy and 2 girls.

Re: Re: Sex of pups

I once used a male who it turned out, was unavailable until late in my girl's cycle. She only had two, but both were females.

FWIW,
I have had two litters( by 2 different bitches ) that consisted of 2 pups and 3 pups. All males. Gorgeous boys but no bitches.

I hope both of your puppies are bitches !Good luck.

Of all of the litters I've bred, Labs, Havanese and cockers, including those sired by my stud dogs, I've had 64% girls, 36% boys. I always try to breed them early. Only one litter had more boys than girls - a litter of 3 with 2 boys. Only one had an equal number - a litter of 4. In both of those cases, we know we caught the bitch a bit late. All of the rest had more girls than boys, including one all girl litter, and one litter of 6 girls and 1 boy (who was stillborn so it was a litter of 6 girls.)

2 girls and 1 boy, good luck