Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Purina food question

Purina One, Pro Plan and Purina Beneful. Do you think all are the same? Or, Pro Plan being the most expensive be the best?

I see one of these were affected by the recall according to the website.

Re: Purina food question

Beneful is pretty much crap - nothing like ProPlan or even ONE. I've not checked the ingredients, but I've heard that ProPlan and ONE are very similar. I feed ProPlan Performance and Puppy to some of my dogs, and Kirkland to the others.

Re: Re: Purina food question

I feed Pro Plan Chicken which was never on the recall list..XXXX on Wood. I feed some of my dogs Natural Balance Premium and now feed my litters of puppies Natural Balance in the can and the soggy kibble. They love the canned food !

Purina Pro Plan seems like they raised their price since all the recalls came out but I wait until it comes on sale... $6.00 per bag off then I buy 200 Pounds worth to get an additional 10 % discount through Petco. Then of course you get your buy 10 get the next bag free. If you get on the Breeder's program with Pro Plan that saves you even more money.

Natural Balance has their breeder's program to. I try and catch Petco when they have NB on sale to.

Natural Balance is a better food and if Purina Pro Plan continues to raise their prices then I'll just put all my dogs on Natural Balance.

Re: Re: Re: Purina food question

In regards to Purina NO ... none of the Purnia Pro Plan,and ONE, were on any recall lists. As for the pricing... If you are a Pro Club member ( if you want info contact me directly)... You would also get the $7.00 coupons that can be used for your next purchase of food... Cut out those weight circles and be a member.. If you are not a Pro Club member email me at the above address and we can talk further.
I have been feeding the Pro Plan since 1988. I love the food and never have to worry about it..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina food question

I have been feeding Purina dog food since 1962 and ONE since right after it became available. There is very little difference between ONE and Pro Plan. ONE is easier for me to get. I like the Total Nutrition formula. I also feed ONE puppy food. My dogs do great on it.

I have heard of a lot of dogs developing skin prolems with the Beniful, probably from the dyes, etc. Apparently it isn't a great food because it is not included in the breeder program. IMO the fancy packaging is what sells it.

I talked to the Purina rep. at Syracuse and she said that they do NOT import their grain. It is all domestic. She also said that if 15-20 grain trucks come in and one is contaminated, the whole fleet is denied.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina food question

We also have been feeding Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice since the 80's. We have had wonderful results with this food. We feed pregnant bitches and young puppies the Pro Plan puppy and occationally Performance to stud dogs.
Traci

Pro Plan and ONE are very much the same. The first ingredient is reversed, otherwise, same stuff. By me, ONE is more expensive now!
Beneful I think is junk....

I've been using the ONE for about 7 years now and it is pretty much almost the same as the pro plan and yes I have noticed that the price of the ONE is almost as much as the cost of the pro plan here now sinse all the recalls, sucks if you ask me. As for the beneful, we were told by a rep here that it is a junk food, geesh for the rep to say that it's must be pretty bad.
Aloha,
Jackie

I have fed Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice since it first became available, before that I fed Hi-Pro by Purina. For 31 years I have never had any problems with the food. I feed puppies their Chicken and Rice puppy food. I also use Performance on adults at various times. I do watch for the sales at Petco also and try to keep my weight circles sent in for the $7.00 coupons. Petco has the 200# club for the additional 10% off. There are times with all the discounts that I pay about $15.00 a bag! Plus, every tenth bag is free.

The food is quality, has enough fat and protein for Labradors, and I have never had to worry, so far, when there are recalls. The piece of mind is worth every penny!

Should also mention, that my Petco, and probably yours as well, will match other competitors sale prices.

Remember when ProPlan used to have those little $1.99 sample bags witht he $2 coupon on the back?
A couple weeks ago hubby was talking to one of their customer reps and asked why they don't have those little bags witht he $2 coupons anymore. The rep said all you have to do is call ever few weeks and ask for some $2 coupons and they's send them. So he asked for a few and we did receive some. Hey, every little bit helps these days!

I have always fed pro plan chicken, but switched to Lamb and rice. There's been no difference in the dogs coat, weight, etc. I don't know why I did it!! But what IS up with the 5.00 price jump? That's shocked me!

Ours went up $2.00. I would guess the reason is two fold, all going back to energy costs. The price of corn has dramatically increased due to the fact that it is now being used to manufacture ethanol, this has effected the price of all livestock. With the fuel costs up, it effects not only the transportation of raw materials and finished product to the market but also the cost of raising poultry as energy is a major component in maintaining chicken houses.

I too have noticed the price hike. But I will continue to feed Purina Pro Plan Selects. My dogs do great on it and I save the weight circles and every once in a while I find a $5 off coupon in a bag (yeah!). I like to stay with what works for the dogs and with what is safe health-wise.
A

Today on the news they said the price of cereal is sky-rocketing. Anything with grain in it - is going to go WAY UP! Because farmers are sending all the corn to be made into ethanol there is less for food use.

Like several others who have replied, I have fed ProPlan since it became available and have been thrilled with the results.

The price has gone up for various reasons--transportation costs, higher ingredients costs, and possibly because more people are switching to ProPlan due to all of the recalls. Basic supply and demand. I will pay the price because I will not change to another brand.

MK

Tractor Supply...

Just as a FYI as I haven't seen this hit the lists yet, but last week I saw that Tractor Supply, through July 1st, is offering $20 TSC gift card rebate with a $50 pet supply purchase, limit one.

For me, that's great, as I only have 4 dogs and I get my food at Tractor Supply anyways.

I am a little late reading this chain but I also was talking to a friend that works at Sams Club and if you can coordinate a bunch of breeders together to pitch in on a truckload sale at Sams Club, they do sell Purina One Lamb and Rice. Has anyone done that and how are the savings if you do a truckload sale? I have been devoted to Purina for many years. All of my breeder friends do not feed it or I would try to coordinate a truck sale in my area.

Also the Petco deal where you end up with bags for $15??? What pound bags is that? When you do the #200 lb deal and the 10% can you also use your rebate checks?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina food question

as far as the purina rep saying they don't import grains is just not true. Purina was involved with recall but it was a canned food that was on the recall and wheat was purchased from China, this has been published on there website and recall information sites.

In my opinion any dog food with wheat , flour or corn is just not for me. has no real nutritional value and when there is nutritional value the food is processed at such high temps that it looses some of that and just is not as good.

I prefer Life's Abundance and I use to feed both Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice and chicken and Rice. I have also fed Purina One Lamb and Rice. There are also by products in many foods and I refuze to feed junk to my dogs, that we really have no clue what it is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina food question

original increase of price was planned because of additional testing was to be done to prevent any further recalls. and yes grain costs and gas has effected food costs. but think about it dogs are meat eaters so why feed them grain. this can contribut eto skin problems and they are also used as fillers which inmy opinion just a waste of money.

I agree - more grain content just leaves more to pick up in the yard!