Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Would you?

Would you breed a bitch again who produced allergies in a litter (singleton litter) and had no history of allergies herself?

Re: Would you?

Yes, with a totally different stud dog.
If it happend again, I would not breed her again.

No, don't think I would unless I did a lot of testing to find out cause of allergy.

I guess it would depend on the severity of the allergies and whether the allergy could be easily treated. For example, if it were a food allergy that simply required a different food source I'd be more willing to try a second breeding than if the pups were plagued with continual discomfort and pain from an environmental allergen that couldn't be avoided.

If you do decide to breed your bitch again, make sure there are no signs of allergies in the stud you select. I think allergies are usually the product of a recessive gene.

as the owner of an allergic dog, i would say probably not, food allergies are so rare, its usually environmental, and its a pain in the ass,

would i trade my allergic dog? not for all the tea in china, she's a good worker, but the bathing, the drugs, the food, the constant vigillance over what she grabs to eat (she has food and environmental) its not something i would wish on someone

there are so many problems dogs can have, why breed one that has thrown an issue in the past...

just my 2 cents
barb

and actually, i'll contradict myself.... if the female was really nice, typey, had everything i wanted, and i could find a suitable stud, known NOT to have allergy issues, known NOT to throw allergies, and he had everything else that complemented my lines
maybe i would breed her again...

all hypothetical as i don't breed, probably never will, too inexact a science for me....

barb

Re: Re: Would you?

I think you are all missing the point here. If the bitch has no allregy history, and none of her close relatives do, than more than likely it was a combination of the two pedigrees that produced it.
If it was a recessive trait, it would need to be on BOTH sides, and will only come out when those two pedigrees comes together.
Chosing an entirely different pedigree, could produce all non allergic pups. Then you would have this knowledge for furure generations and your breeding program.
I mean, what you guys are saying is like saying you would not breed to a dog that has ever produced hip dysplasia
Now I'm betting that most studs dogs, if used enough, have at one time or another, done just that.
Should we discontinue their lines because of it? If they have tons of other good qualities?
Of course not!

I would absolutely breed this bitch again! There are no guarantees in breeding and though one litter (or in this case one puppy) may have problems, the next or subsequent litter(s) will be fine. Some combos work well and others don't.

I would not throw the baby out with the bath water if the this girl is all that! Breed her to a different stud dog this time and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Dianne

I feel so responsible and very badly for the owners of this dog as the allergies are significant and a PIA for them.

But probably just a bad mix as some have said. It is just hard when you try to do everything right and then something so unexpected (and so very difficult for pet owners) comes up and bites you in the butt. I would feel just awful if she produced this again.

Here is what you need to do. When you speak to the owner of a potential stud, ask the following. " My bitch produced a pup with allergies. How would you feel about breeding your boy to her?" Any stud dog owner with any sense at all would suggest you look elsewhere if his/her boy had allergies in his line with the potential to cause problems in this area.

Hi Just Asking ! My old retired girl had 1 litter after I realized she has bad environmental allergies. She ended up passing on her allergies to 6 of her 7 surviving puppies. Some of the pups had worse allergies than their mother.

She was spayed since I later discovered she has relatives who also have allergies and finally I discovered where it was coming from but it took me a few years to track it down.

If your girl doesn't have allergies herself and she only had 1 puppy with allergies, I would definately try breeding her one more time with a stud dog who you KNOW does not produce allergies. That might mean choosing an older, more proven stud dog. Take your time with your research so you fell confident in your decision. Also, if you don't know your dam's pedigree inside and out, I would not breed her until you dig further in her pedigree in search of dogs who produced allergies or had allergies themselves.

Allergies are a royal pain in the behind and not very fun for the dog or the families who adopt the puppies. Don't beat yourself up too much though, your girl may not have contributed to your singlton's allergies and if she did, I'm sure you will find out soon enough and learn from experience. Good luck with research and much success with her next litter should you decide on future litters with your girl !!

I'd probably suggest really digging around in her pedigree to see if there is anyone with allergies. If there is a possibility that the allergies came from her, I wouldn't do it. Like Barb, I have one with really horrific allergies, and I wouldn't wish this on any owner, and I certainly wouldn't want to bring more pups into the world who would suffer like my girl has suffered before we finally got a handle on the routine to keep her comfortable.

Breed her 1 more time to different stud .

Yes we did.But we found out what was causing her this terrible allergy.And she come back in full bloom. Been allergy free for nearly 2 yrs. wasn't food.

What they said....