Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have a little respect

OMG! I can't stand it any more!!! I get embarrassed every time I read this forum and see grammatical and spelling errors all over the place. Sometimes they are funny. Other times they just make the writer look uneducated. An uneducated breeder won't get the respect that is deserved. Nobody's perfect, but some of these are pretty basic.

Some recent examples:

- Learn the proper use of to, two and too. "Go TO the USA." "That is TOO much." "I have TWO dogs."
- If you abbreviate Reproduction Veterinarian, it's "Repro Vet", not "Repo Vet." (A repo vet might take your car.)

More that I copied from another site:
- looser or loser
• looser: not as securely fastened, restrained, or contained. His belt was looser when he lost weight.
• loser: one that fails to win. The loser of the game.
- opps or oops
• opps: an acronym for Outpatient Prospective Payment System (hospital/medical)
• oops: used to express acknowledgement of a minor accident, blunder, or mistake. Oops! I spilled my drink!
- spade or spayed
• spade: a garden tool. I used a spade to dig up the weeds.
• spayed: an female animal who has had her ovaries and uterus removed surgically. I spayed Fluffy so she couldn’t get pregnant.
- diddo or ditto
• diddo: no such word in English
• ditto: the same as stated above or before. Person 1: “I love music.” Person 2: “Ditto.”
- mute point or moot point
• mute point: a sharp or tapered end that cannot speak. The end of the stick was mute.
• moot point: A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first.
- sight or site
• sight: the ability to see. Hawks have excellent sight.
• site: a place or location. I found the right web site.
- scarred or scared
• scarred: marked on the skin where an injury or wound has healed. Acne left his face scarred.
• Scared: frightened. The roller coaster ride scared me.
- cleft pallet or cleft palate
• Cleft pallet: Pallet is a portable platform used for cargo or freight. Cleft means split.
• Cleft palate: A congenital fissure in the roof of the mouth.
- shinny or shiny
• shinny: to climb by using alternating legs and arms. He shinnied up the rope.
• shiny: radiating light, bright. The silver tray was shiny.
- quiet or quite
• quiet: making little or no noise. A quiet neighborhood.
• quite: completely. Not quite finished.
- common sence or common sense
• sence is a misspelling
• common sense: sound judgment
- healing or heeling
• healing: restoring to health. The doctor was healing his patients.
• heeling: to follow at one’s heels. The dog was heeling nicely.
- tinny or tiny
• tinny: having a thin metallic sound. A high tinny voice.
• tiny: extremely small. The Chihuahua is a tiny dog.
- moose or mousse
• moose: a hoofed mammal found in North America and Eurasia.
• mousse: a styling foam for hair.
- there or their or they’re
• there: at or in that place. Sit there.
• their: the possessive form of “they”. That is their dog.
• they’re: They are. They’re going to the store.
- confirmation or conformation
• confirmation: verification. I received my Westminster entry confirmation in the mail.
• conformation: The structure or outline of an item or entity, determined by the arrangement of its parts. Conformation of the dogs is judged at shows.
- up date or update
• update: To bring up to date. He made an update to his web page.
• up date: ? To increase a date?
- liable or libel
• liable (adjective): Legally obligated; responsible. He was liable for not following safe practices.
• libel (noun): a defamatory statement or representation. Proving to be true is often the best defense against a prosecution for libel.
- Plural and possessive words – example:
• partner: One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest.
• partners: Two or more partners.
• partner’s: Belonging to one partner
• partners’: Belonging to two or more partners.

Got any more?

Re: Have a little respect

WHO CARES?? and by the way it is I am embarrassed every time I see grammer errors, not gramical. At times, it is funny. An uneducated breeder will not get the respect that they deserve. No one is perfect.

Re: Re: Have a little respect

Did you get the message on that last part, officer? It is NOT "nobody's perfect", it is "NO ONE IS PERFECT".

Re: Re: Re: Have a little respect

Touche'... or is it too shay, or two shay or to shay?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Have a little respect

Sorry, couldn't help myself...my horns MUST be showing.

No..... it is grammatical not grammer

LOL - it really should matter that what is written is what is meant, which isn't always the case. My biggest pet peeve is when people use an apostrophe for a plural when it shouldn't be there - ie - blanket's, bowl's, etc.... - there's no possessive there, but people feel compelled to insert the apostrophe. I've not figured out why this is an epidemic now, both here and just in general. I've even received school flyers that have those mistakes. Pretty sad, really.

Nobody's perfect = No one is perfect.
Not everyone is perfect would be an alternative.

I like fur a dog with a shinny coat to gate in the hell position.

I also got a real chuckle reading the "Orgiin and development of the Labrador Retriever" where were the proof readers on THAT one?

I see so many errors it makes me laugh and if they are anonymous I always know who it is because they have the same spelling errors.

The one that really makes me laugh or maybe it's why our kids can't spell is the breeder that claims to be a teacher and every other word is misspelled on the forum and on her web page.

I see all kinds of web sites that have so many misspelled words; names and horrific grammatical errors it makes me wonder if they ever went to school.

If I visit a site and there are words misspelled and people’s names misspelled it's a big turn off. I figure they are uneducated or don't take much pride in anything they do and that could carry over to the dogs too.

We all have SPELL CHECK so those of you who don't have much in the education department at least use the tool that will at a minimum make you appear smart.

I think Grammar Police needs a man.
There are many more important things to worry about.

Pre-limbed ...know shipper....Grannernann...

Wow..Someone has two much time on there hands

I am one is annoyed by errors, and yet I am so guilty of failing to proof my own posts! I think that my fingers go faster than my brain sometimes.

My personal favorite is when people on other boards say they want to "bread" their dog. Might I suggest some lovely panko bread crumbs? Oh, wait, your dog has already been "bread." If it was bread before, did a fairy come along and change into a dog?

Perfect example --
I left out the word "it!"

Now, now...that's TOO much time on their hands.

PLEAS EZZZZZ. Cut us a break. You need to go to the Grammer Forum, for the more educated. We are here to help each other and share Labrador information. This is for all and it is hard to remember all the correct spellings. We are not writting a professional article.
I am to old to learn perfect grammer now anyway.

Spell check won't catch misuse of words, like "advise" and "advice." You can "advise" someone to do something, but you should ask for "advice."
I have seen this mistake dozens of times on this forum.

My experience is that most people are terrible spellers (or typists) and that our schools are failing us miserably when teaching grammar, spelling and proper word usage. Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times.

MK

This is not MS Word people. Typos are common, so is "internet lingo"

Proof reader, I loved your post. I chuckled

Let's keep it light (lite) people "It's no biggie"

Ooops, I am not "writting" a professional article. We ALL make mistakes, live with it!!

Although I completely agree, I don't think I would have ever posted it in quite the same way as you did. It could have been brought to light without the nasty tone and, who knows, someone might have actually learned something.

I will, however, add another example to your list. One might listen to the way they say the word, "Labrador." It's not LAB-A-DOR it is LAB-RA-DOR. I've heard that word misspoken many times and wanted to intervene, but just couldn't find a nice way.

LOL - these are pretty funny. My mother was an English teacher and she drove me CRAZY correcting my grammar (not grammer.)

I love "pre-limb"... Is that a fetal or a fatal condition? LOL

You can't get too board with this bored.

Nancy you are funny. I did spell Grammar wrong, whoops should not have made it capital, whoops did I spell capital wright. Whoops left out all my commas. Think it is more fun to figure it out ! I repeat, to old for school.

"My experience is that most people are terrible spellers (or typists) and that our schools are failing us miserably when teaching grammar, spelling and proper word usage. Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times."

As a teacher "on vacation," I seem to have too much time on my hands, as I am reading this thread and chuckling. :)

I often wonder, if our Labradors could talk, would they correct us? Are they rolling their eyes in exasperation as I say, "Eat yer suppers!" or "Der's da good girlzies," or worse yet, "Fetch it up!" After all, they are from proper English lines!

In all honesty, I do cringe sometimes, reading the poor spelling and grammar in email posts; but I look past it and resist criticizing, because the moment I get up on my "Grammar Queen Pedestal," I make a mistake. Just last week I was corrected by a fellow teacher for using the phrase, "on accident." Whoopsie! It's "accidentally" or "by accident," not ON accident. Well! You learn something every day!

Now, regarding the above statement about our schools failing us--here are a couple of points to ponder: most of us who write on this forum were educated quite some time ago. I don't know about you, but I spent many a day diagraphing sentences and I suspect most of you did too. The English language is replete with an infinite list of confusing usages, and I have better things to do than look 'em all up. And spelling! Ugh! It is my personal belief that you either have the spelling gene or you don't. If you're (not your) born a poor speller you will forever be doomed with that dreadful affliction. Bummer, but it could be worse! In the meantime, we teachers try every trick in the book and hope it "sinks in." If you have any great ideas, send them my way!

Okay, time to move on to more important things. I have three Labradors waiting for their turn with the Zoom-Groom. Have a great day! ~Nancy

I am actually a writer:)

I have not been doing it full time for years now, but still contribute here and there and like to THINK I know how to use the language. I am however, a TERRIBLE speller, and when I am in a moment, writing from the heart about something I feel something about, I just let it go....heck, sometimes it isnt even due to something I feel something about. Sometimes it is just a whiney 4 year old wanting a "butter jelly" and a needy labby shoving her dirty ball in my lap while I am typing that makes me rush to make my post and get on with things....thats what I get for putting a computer in my kitchen eh?

Were I writing you a "letter" I would see it differently, but the internet is a very fast paced idea exchange and as much as some might think we are doing poorly when communicating on this forum, they have not seen a thing till they participate in "chats" .

Those of us who are long time internet users seem to view things a little differently at times and just do "whatever" to get our thoughts out.(not all of us of course) Sure....this can lead to the wrong impression of people, and that is always a concern, but in all honesty, when someone uses a completely wrong word for something obvious, I ASSUME, its an error and really don't hold it against them. Being that the internet is an INTERNATIONAL medium, for all I know the person I am talking to has an advanced degree in rocket science and just doesn't have full mastery of English:)

Has anyone seen that phone commercial where the mom is yelling at the little girl and they are talking in "chat" language?
I guess some of us are just used to being a little more lazy online. While I wish schools put more emphasis on some of the more basic skills, I am thrilled with the things that kids today can learn about through technology and figure that it is worth the trade off if you are willing to supplement them at home like i am trying to do myself:)

Annie

Want to nitpic? (slang) NO! I am not - this could be a learning experience for some without being embarrassed or any finger pointing.

Here is one that could make many of us go crazy. How to correctly use suppose and supposed.

Websters:

Suppose
1 a : to lay down tentatively as a hypothesis, assumption, or proposal b (1) : to hold as an opinion : BELIEVE (2) : to think probable or in keeping with the facts

Supposed
Function: adjective
1 a : PRETENDED b : ALLEGED
2 a : held as an opinion : BELIEVED ; also : mistakenly believed : IMAGINED b : considered probable or certain : EXPECTED c : UNDERSTOOD
3 : made or fashioned by intent or design
4 a : required by or as if by authority b : given permission : PERMITTED

The only area I think breeders of any breed might want to get their spelling correct on a board or their own personal website would be about worlds like "conformation" or "temperament" for example. This came up during a recent discussion with a very intelligent, dear friend . Basically, breed related words are things we should try to be correct about on either websites or posts. The rest of it, we can all make many mistakes and even with the above if in a hurry. We're all human! Let's not overdo it or at the least make it fun!

JMHO

I flunked my senior English exam, eons ago, but I try hard.

My personal peeves:

breath/breathe: Take a deep breath. Get the puppy to breathe.

bath/bathe: I gave the puppy a bath. I need to bathe the puppy.

full dentation......opposit Sex

Now we have to worry about using incorrect spelling and poor english on this forum lest we be judged an indiot and poor caretaker of our dogs

Grammar Police, for you to have copied and saved all the forum user's grammar errors tells me that you have way too much time on your hands which could be better spent with your own dogs.

Just for an example of how not to judge people on whether they can spell or use the proper grammer, I can spell better than my husband who earned a 5 yr Engineer degree years ago. I consider my husband very intelligent.

It is true that people who have long been out of high school or college tend to forget the basics where proper use of grammar is concerned. Many people forget how to multipy and divide 10 yrs after graduating. Have you not see that new game show , Smarter than a 5th Grader ?? I think that is the name of it but it gives you an idea of how quickly educated people forget.

" OMG! I can't stand it any more!!! "

This upsets you that much??? My goodness, I would hate to see you having to face a real tragedy in life... one thing is for sure, it puts such trivial matters into perspective.
If only we could all just hope that someone's mispelled or incorrectly used words were the most upsetting thing we might face that day.

Personally, reading in the context of a forum, I don't find it a big deal. If I don't understand or I think thetypo or error compromises the writer's intended message, I would just ask for clarification.

JMO A little more tolerance in this world couldn't hurt.

Correct spelling and proper grammar are not the same but one could use incorrect spelling as an excuse for proper grammar. I don't think anyone expects perfection but the grammar on this forum is often atrocious and embarrassing.

I must say that I agree. This is too much. It seems to me that most posters here are friendly with each other in the world outside this forum. As a result, there are many people that have become comfortable, as happens with friends and do not feel the need to be proper. It is such a shame to waste so much time with these petty little issues in life. Let's get back to more productive subjects.

JMHO

Re:Re:Re: Have a little respect

It's such a shame to not "waste" time helping others sound more professional. If you were to go to two different vets and one didn't have command of the English language (as evidenced by written instructions that they both gave to you), which one would you listen to?

I have always been a good speller and my grammar isn't too bad either. There is however, the "fat finger function" also known as "type-o" which I don't always catch before I write a message and I would guess that there are several posters on this forum just like me. When I read a message that has a mistake in it, I simply just fill in the blank mentally. No big deal. Still, I agree there are more important things to discuss on this forum. Priorities are way off kilter in this world.

Y'ruoe redinag tihs jsut fnie, a'ernt you? I bet yu'ore not hnaivg too mcuh tlubroe ulenss yrou'e thknniig auobt it.

above is just an example of how our minds can quickly translate typos..life it way too short to worry about how someone else posts

That was great typo queen!
being dyslexic myself, it was a breeze:) Haha
Annie

I would rather have my wisdom then your knowledge. As I see it just because you have knowledge does not mean you have wisdom, but if you have wisdom you have knowledge

I just wish they had spell check on the forum! I think some of us rely too much on it! Ha!

Typo Queen, I love it! A very good one indeed. Amazing how the human brain works isn't it?

If we all keep this in perspective, learn from a few mentioned pet peeve words that we might have spelled wrong in the past and apply it to every day life this could be a lot of fun.

I don't mind constructive criticism at all if done with tact. That is the difference between people with class and people lacking it unfortunately in my opinion. A little tact goes a very long way

What began as a negative post might come out as a positive for some of us. We can do this with almost anything, turn it around and learn from it

Have a wonderful day (y'all hehe)

I see this time and time again--

advise/advice

I advise you not to go in the water.

Please follow my advice and do not go in the water.

You ask for or give adviCe NOT adviSe

Yes, there is constant misuse of the apostrophes. I have seen it on some people's websites! OUCH!

I guess the little smiley face wasn't enough for some of you to realize that this was supposed to be a funny thread!

Yep - I probably do need a man, Linda. There are two I'm thinking of... I've been in love with them since I was a little kid, and they have always been a great help with my spelling:

Re: Errors

Other ones which I see all the time -
"alot" which should be two words - a lot
"1st Annual" - it is not an annual event until it is
being held the 2nd year
Propotent on breeder websites rather than prepotent

From an English major and writer, I too wince at some of the typos. "Pre-limb" is a personal favorite of mine also!
And I can.never understand.the person.who puts.periods everywhere, and runs on.with the sentences.
Grammer police I think you unearthed a gold mine!!!
Nobody's perfect but we can poke fun, right? Please don't take yourselves so seriously you can't see the humor in life. My co-workers make fun of me every day and we laugh a lot!

A favorite of mine is the use of "then" and "than."
example: I'd rather have it thEn.
I'd rather be right thAn wrong.

Fun topic.

It's my turn. "Firstly" is a favorite of mine and not found in the dictionary. Sharing has become fun without hurting anyone's feelings.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Languages are wonderful tools and, like so many of you, I love playing with them. But they are first and foremost geared for communication and, as demonstrated, reach their goal without the fine tuning of precision tools. Whereas words wielded with wisdom may work wonders, correct spelling is not necessarily a sign of education and many top scientists stumble in this area.

Compliment vs complement. A stud dog can complement my bitch. If he compliments her... then he's talking!

I am goin to take a bear aspirn!

Now that's funny

ha! CUTEST one so far

Is it Sherbert or Sherbet? Check it out...

JP, I always enjoy reading your posts. I too, love to play with words; the sheer variety and spectrum of language is a wonder to behold! I am often asked by my 3rd grade students what my favorite book is: I show them my thesaurus. A little strange, I know, but like you said, words are intended for communication and it's fun to shop around and find "just the right one."

Thanks for the light hearted note. I think this is a fun thread if we don't take ourselves too seriously!

I need a little advise. Could someone please advice me what to do? Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Grammer Police get over it, maybe try correcting nicely. not all of us are great spellers or typers, or even correct grammer but that doesn't mean that these people no any less about being a good breeder.

If you can't stand reading it, just don't.

I think this whole subject matter is very childish.

maybe some don't spell correctly but we are not so petty as to discuss it on a public fourm.

Here Here Linda,

definately needs something to do with her time