Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new pup going home to Canada.

This one if for anyone who has ever sent or shipped a pup to Canada or our Canadian friends on the forum. I have a lovely family who I have been speaking with for sometime who are going to fly their private plane down to a local airport and fly their new pup home when he is ready the beginning of July. They know and agree due to flying him home that they want all the proper paperwork in hand incase they are stopped anywhere along the way. I will be giving them the Medical Clearance from my Vet and Shot Records as well as a certified crate but what paperwork will they need to get through Canada Customs. I have over a month to work on this so I just want to make sure everything goes ok.

Thanks in advance..

Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

I believe you just need a CVI, like any airline would require????

Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

We had a similar situation very recently... a puppy who went from Canada to the US on a private plane last weekend.

Our puppy family only required a bill of sale and health/vaccination record to get through customs without a problem.

Re: Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

Just double check to make sure the health form is similiar to an International Health Record and the vet says that the puppy is too young to have a rabies shot.

Re: Re: Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

Thanks so much everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

Re: Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

Whatever price is on your bill of sale they will have to pay duty on, just for your info, though of course if they are flying in on their private plane I'm sure they're not too concerned about money.

If the receipt shows an unreasonably low price the border folk have been known to phone local pet stores to get "real" prices for puppies.

Keep the receipt real.

Oh and another thing. No duty on dogs but there is 6% tax.

I don't always get charged the tax if I meet up with a nice border person.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

I recently took two female pups accross the border from Canada, to deliver them to the USA breeder whom I got the bitch from and who I owed the pups to. At the border, they made me, my hubby and my mom come inside, (not the puppies) and they looked at our ID, and knew I had the puppy vaccination booklets in my hand, but didn't look at it. (I've never required an International Health Certificate for pups I've sold that are going to the USA, only their vaccine record. I HAVE required them for pups going overseas. Some countries require that you download their forms and get the vet here to fill them out.) Anyway, they wanted to ascertain the value of the pups. I told them I had no idea what they were worth, it would depend on if the breeder who was receiving them liked them or not. They could have asked me what even my pets were worth, but they didn't. Instead, they asked if the sire had done any winning. Yes, I said, he's done some winning. (He's a Multi BISS Am/Can Ch, so yes, he's done some winning.) Anyway, they then asked if I do this for a living or if I have another job. I said heavens no, this is a hobby, I have a job. They asked where, I said for the Cdn Gov't and they said "Have a nice day" and gave us back our ID"

*whew*

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A new pup going home to Canada.

LOL Linda, too funny when you told them who you worked for! LOL