Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overeating

Two of the dogs just got into a bag of food and I cannot tell how much they have eaten. I was wondering what would be best - just wait and see if they will be alright - or - give them something to make them vomit the food ?

Re: Overeating

I had a pregnant bitch do this, fairly early in her pregnancy. I did make her vomit with hydrogen peroxide. She was still pretty full, but not rock-hard by the time we were "done". If their stomaches are extremely full, I'd think about it, but you have to do it soon!

Oh, I hope it all works out ok! I also keep Gas-X on hand in case of any signs of bloat...

I gave them each 2 T. of hydrogen per. - and no vomiting. The emergency clinic did not advise to give any more than that. I gave them a little water to help the digestion, and hoping they will just poop it out. I'll keep an eye on them tonite. What else is like Gas-X? Don't happen to have that in the house.

Do you have a 24 hour pharmacy nearby? Or a Walmart or grocery store? If you do, then you can run out and get some if needed... Otherwise, I don't know what else works like Gas-X... Anyone else???

Re: Re: Overeating

I have needed gasX for myself- have not found anything else that works like it. It certainly made me feel much better.I imagine it would make the dogs feel better too!

Re: Re: Re: Overeating

Tagament or Mylanta work also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overeating - PS

Also, don't give too much water as this makes the food swell.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overeating - PS

How are they this morning?

They seem to be doing okay. It's been almost 18 hours. They have pooped a few more times (and yes, I have tried to give enough water for digestion but not letting them tank up). Thanks for the replies. Vet thinks we're over the hump. Will remember to have some Gas - X on hand. It's simethicone - which I couldn't find in the other products I had on hand.

good news! Happy all turned out okay!
Janice

Beano's are the best for gas for dogs, it is what my vet recommends giving. Glad to hear your dogs are ok!
Aloha,
Jackie

Pour salt down the throat. That will make vomit. Always salt on hand.