Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fraud By Paul Stapleton back in the last week of March 2007

Good Morning,
Louise Kling Here I am getting ready to post on the forum it has been a nightmare here since Tuesday.
I have Duke back here with me the boy I placed with Paul Stapleton that contacted the rescue. With wanting an older dog for his lonely girl. If you remember back in March and I placed him in his forever home I thought.
Needless to say after many weeks of no communication with him I finally reached his cell phone his home phone never worked at all busy all the time. I kept calling and leaving messages the last one when he answered when I called he was just landing at JFK on his way home from Mexico.
He said he would call me in a day or 2 never happened I tired for weeks to reach him about Duke his 30 days was up needed to talk to him .Well now no cell phone answer left messages for him. After a bit went on Mapquest on Monday saw his address for New Jersey was an aerial view and it was a parking lot in an industrial park. I kept calling and finally a person of foreign language answered the phone I asked if Paul was there he said no and that he had the cell # for about a month. I hung up and put my detective cap on emailed him one more time to see if I would get a reply and sure enough on Tuesday morning an email. I called the new home phone left a message and he called me. It was not pleasant. I started to look on the internet with his name for any information for him in New Jersey and he now moved to Long Island New York.

After about an hour and 15 minutes I found a company Mark Stapleton and Assoc. I remembered him saying his fathers name was mark I hit on the site and was on to the information I needed I clicked on the canine section and saw they only take dogs 2-8 years of age I called the company and asked for Mark was told no longer with the company and semi retired. I asked about Paul then and also if they had a dog in there program from him by the name of Duke the person left me for a moment he was upset I could tell by his response to please hold while he checked for any information he could assist me with. It was about 50 seconds he came back on and told me he was transferring me to the person that handles that part of the company! I was very nice and calm with the person on the other end .He asked how he could help me and I told him I was looking for Paul Stapleton and a dog I placed with him that was for a pet home. I asked if Duke was in his program he said yes that he purchased Duke from him and he was working 24 hours a week as an arsenal dog in the city and doing very well at his JOB!!!! This is when I lost it with him and said the dog was to go to a pet and family home for his forever home. Needless to say I still had his papers here that Cindy sent to me to transfer him to Paul but had no correspondence from him and I never sent them. After speaking with the gentlemen that had 105 dogs working in the city who now has 104 I called Cindy and told her to go and retrieve Duke right away and when she was finished work after speaking with John at the company and he cancelled the contract for Duke with Paul who called me finally when he found out the dog was being returned to Cindy he was all upset and tried to lie his way out of it. This is all over now Cindy retrieved Duke I met her yesterday and he is once again home here in the mountains with me. He is 8-10 lbs overweight from all the things they give them in training. Paul finally owned up to it after many calls to me that he was being paid $6,000.00 a month for Dukes Services. This man has to be stopped from taking advantage of dogs and rescue groups to get his dogs to live off of .
He has called me several times I stopped that and Cindy to who had it out with him face to face it is a legit company that had no knowledge that was not even his dog as yet to sell or even put into the program I was told he has 10 dogs working now and more in training, I am in the most part going to a pro bono lawyer for Cindy and Duke on his behalf. I now have to de- program Duke he definitely is a working arsenal dog I will call a few friends to have help with this for Duke. John told me he was the very easiest dog ever to train and was out working the large buildings in 2 weeks time and doing well with his handler and family where he did live with them and not Paul!

So please tell all the rescue groups to be aware of this scam by this person. You think you are doing the right thing for a dog who just turned 2 on May the 10th and this is what the poor boy went thru. Well he is safe with Me ,Cindy is now in contact with her new realtor that she just moved from Manhattan to the outer limits of the city but no dogs allowed to find her a ground floor apartment or Brown Stone to take Duke home with her once again. I told her he will be here with me forever now he will go no place but to her and myself he has been thru plenty!!! No more for this beautiful Boy.
Thank you for your time.
Louise Kling Mansfield Pa.

Re: Fraud By Paul Stapleton back in the last week of March 2007

Here is the link to the company in New York City that will tell you about all the services of the dogs and also Paul is not an employee of this company just so you know the company acted immediately for Dukes Safe return and also to cancel Dukes legal contract with Paul Stapleton. They absolutley had no knowledge that Duke was not owned yet legally by Paul and worked with me for his safe return to Cindy that evening,
Louise

Shortcut to:
http://www.mikestapleton.com/products/products/IED%20Improvised%20Explosive%20Device.htm

Okay - this was very hard to follow, but are you saying you're upset because the dog was trained to detect explosives rather than be a couch potato in someone's house? I guess I don't quite know why this is a problem - I've donated returned older puppies to service dog organizations that have gone on to successful careers as a canine helper.

Sounds like this guy is taking advantage of rescues, but on the other hand, why do you have a problem with the "job" they are training the dogs to do?

I'm finding this hard to follow also. I'm not sure I understand why the fraud was committed in the first place, when there are a lot of good, trainable Labradors available, and breeders who would be happy to place them in such a valuable program. It sounds like signals were crossed somewhere. Or maybe it's just an EDP problem.

Re: Re: Fraud By Paul Stapleton back in the last week of March 2007

"Or maybe it's just an EDP problem. "

what is EDP?

John told me he was the very easiest dog ever to train and was out working the large buildings in 2 weeks time and doing well with his handler and family where he did live with them and not Paul!

Maybe Duke was happy living with his Handler/family and doing a job he considered fun ! I see nothing wrong with this for Duke. The only wrong seems to be the way the dog was aquired. ( did I spell that right??)

Assuming Louise has been truthful, a person lied to Rescue to get a dog for a purpose the Rescue may not have approved had they known. Whether others adopt dogs out for that purpose is irrelevant. False pretense is just that - false - and it is the fear of all Rescues and Breeders. Liars don't make good owners and I applaud Louise's tenacity to get the dog back.

The information was posted on the forum for a pet dog to be with his dog in his home back in March due to the fact he had to put his other dog down and the dog was very lonely and in distress. He was looking for an older dog to be in his HOME with his distressed girl a choc. female that was not doing well lonely because of missing her companion.

I answered the post and was given the information and in return his phone # and name. I contacted him he told me the same story he made a day and time to come and see Duke. On April the 3rd. I made a paper up a contract that he signed to take Duke into his home for a 30 day trial period to see if he fit into his home environment with his family his wife 2 children and the dog. I have all of his paper work after he left with Duke I had to mail him he never contacted me to see how things were going with Duke. I received an email with 2 sentences Duke fit right in and doing well will mail later. That was it for many weeks.
I have no problem with dogs going into all kind of outfits even dogs behind bars and also cadaver dogs airport drug sniffer dogs search and rescue none of it. The problem is he never had the dog but for a few days he sold him to this company for training and also for profit not to be in his home as a family pet . This is fraud every hour he work every month he was Paid $6000.00 for Dukes services . He is looking for dogs age 2-8 for this program . He never received the transfer of the AKC papers due to the fact he never contacted me after the 30 day trial to see if he was to keep Duke.
I found Duke have him home.
The organization is a wonderful company serving our country and they were misled by Paul and I just wanted people to be aware of his out for profit from his acquisitions of dogs for his profit to sell them to this company.

The company has been nothing but very helpful in the safe return of Duke to us. It was just not a place that the owner of Duke nor myself intended him to be. If we wanted to do this Cindy would of contacted them to do this.

John who is a retired police officer of New York is the person I dealt with he was so wonderful and could only help us all he could and it worked.

The site was posted I am sorry for information for the forum if you have a 2-8 year old lab that you would like to donate as I am also going to do a 2 year old black female to them she came to me as a pet home placement and I choose to donate her to them I would have her spayed and placed in a pet home. She is not of my breeding here another person had to give her to me as they moved to a location not allowing pets. But this is a better Idea to give her to them to help to protect many people from harm and to help protect our court houses ,subway systems and many historic sites in New York City. I am not out to sell and make a profit on any dog I donate it just that donate.
That is why I attached the link so all could see what they do with the dogs that they have and train.

I have also donated 2 sniffer dogs to an airport and a cadaver dog also.
I am in no way implying a bad thing for dogs.
Just not Duke he was not meant for this it was to be a very stable forever loving home for him with there family and other dog. He is way to laid back to ever be used for this work safely. He loves to grab things and run if he did that to a satchel and ran with it he could of done more harm than good in a second AND ACTUALLY CAUSED THE IGNITION OF A BOMB. He is very playful and takes 2 stuffed toys out at a time in the yard every time I leave him out to play.

Paul is not an honest person if he wants dogs for this he should purchase the dogs from animal rescues and pay for them as other people have to do this is what helps to care for the dogs placed there. Also he should tell them of his intentions to see if the dog will be a good prospect for this kind of work and him earning money for the dogs service,
He out and out lied about all his intentions for Duke to me and Candyheart and also the rescue club in Mass. who he contacted also.

Louise

Thank you - that is clearer. I agree that there is no way that Paul should have been making money from Duke who was supposed to be in a pet home. He went about obtaining this dog in a very sneaky manner. You know the dog and should be the one to place him whhere he is best suited! Good job!

Thank you Capewood. He will be with me and stay here until Cindy acquires the housing she needs for Duke .She loves this dog the elevator in the high rise would break down and the dog walkers were complaining they had to go up and down 33 flights of stairs to acquire Duke for his walks 3 times a day.
his happened to many times for Duke he started to get very stiff in the steiffel from all the steps he had to endure every day that the elevators did not operate. She moved to on May the 1 st with the thought as mine that Duke was safe in his home and family. She kept him for 2 nights and brought him half way yesterday from New York city to me to have him here safe and secure with me until she does find the housing for Duke to be safely returned to her.
He is a great dog and I will do this for any of my offspring to help an owner out in need.

Thank you for letting me clear up the situation better. Just be careful who you trust out there I did and Duke was the one to be used and myself also by a person not truthful Of his intentions if he would of told me Duke would of never even met the [people I would of declined the home try out.
Louise

Re: Re: Re: Fraud By Paul Stapleton back in the last week of March 2007

Emotionally Disturbed Person - it's the acronym used by emergency workers.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

"Or maybe it's just an EDP problem. "

what is EDP?

This is why it is so very important to do a home visit. Some people who are very good liars will claim to want a dog for their pet. It's important to check vet references and make sure that the house actually exists, the person lives in that house, and that the house is a safe environment for the dog. The person could sound perfectly wonderful, but sometimes, the home visit reveals something very questionable. Thanks for posting the warning for everyone!

Louise, curious - was Duke "free"??
I have never just given a dog away, for this very reason. You just never know.

Yes he was 100% free I will scan the paper I drew up for him and let all see his signature also and mine on the paper dated April the 3rd.

Wow, I just read what happened, and I'm so sorry to hear about it. I had no idea this guy was no good. He just emailed me looking for a dog, sounded like he might be a good guy, and I thought I'd pass it on that someone was looking in case anyone had anything available. It just goes to show that we can screen people, ask for an application, talk to them in person, etc, and we can still get scamed. Scary stuff. Something we all need to keep a very close eye out for, somehow without becoming paranoid and untrusting of everyone we meet.

wow - very bad.
Was Duke a rescue?
I would really consider not giving away any more dogs, unless you know the people.
I've heard of many dogs ending up in labratories this way. Their endings are certainly not as happy as Dukes...
Glad he has a forever home now with you.

I think I get it now. Boy is this hard to translate. Feel like I need new glasses...

Correct me if I'm wrong. Paul Stapleton obtained the dog saying that he wanted him as a pet. He turned around and sold or leased him to his father Mark's company. Duke apparently aced his training and went to work within a couple of weeks as a bomb sniffer. Paul was being evasive which made you suspicious, you found the dog, Paul's father Mark's company gave the dog back to you. Does that about sum it up?

If Paul was a problem, I'd be worried about Paul's father Mark's company too...

You should never ever ever let a dog go for free. As I mentioned in my other post, there are people out there who are good liars. They do this for a living. I have heard of people who even bring their family along to meet the dog. Free dogs can be sold to Class B dealers and used for testing. They can be used for bait for pitbulls. Duke got very lucky. I personally know of someone who trains dogs to sell them as arson dogs and narcotics dogs. That is her business. In order to do that, she must obtain the dogs for free or very cheaply. She gets them from desperate shelters (mostly small rural ones) who will let them go free to her as they would to a rescue. She gets them from "free to good home" ads in the newspaper and on Craigslist. She has a Petfinder page, and if she has already put money into the dog for vet care, she will keep it to adopt it out for a couple hundred dollars. But if she hasn't put money into the animal yet, she will dump it at the area's high kill shelter. She was trying to dump them on a closer shelter, but the animal control officer got wise to the fact that she always seemed to "find" stray labrador retrievers. I have seen her posting on Craigslist when she has "found" a dog and needs to rehome it. These are the dogs she has picked up from someone else for free. When you're placing a dog, you CAN'T just be trusting.

Pauls father is no longer involved with the company Nancy I am sending you the contract he signed here . He was to allow Cindy to visit Duke at his home to make sure all on the up and up with him. Yes he ignored me and never fullfilled the agreement. I had it so Cindy his owner could inspect his home. I am having trouble doing this one I can not het it to work new program for my scanner and it just will not let me paste it.
Anyway he will be looking for a new boy I am sure and many more to. The president of the company called Mark Stapleton assoc/ called me today to make sure we al lwere ok fter mant threatening calls from Paul to me and Cindy . Please every one ignor this person do not give him a dog. Nancy the contract is on the way to you.
Louise

On the site

http://www.visualmax.com/asx/msa/msaabc01_200k.asx

I don't need any documentation. I just wanted to understand the story.

Nancy I was not sending it yo you for documentation sorry thought maybe you could figure out a way to help me post it since I was having trouble. I was asked if 100% free and also one asked if a true story I WOULD NEVER post an untruth like this to this forum or any where else on for the public to see I do have pride in what I breed here and am very happy to place dogs into pet homes not the first time I have done this and probably will not be the last But I will stick to the more seniors out there looking for a walking companion. Whoops!!!!!
Sorry for any intrusion on you Nancy.I will not ask you again seems I have done this before and was ignored. You could of just replied to my email back you did not have to post it here on the forum but then some do like to start things. As far as I can see I was just trying to alert people to a scam for dogs.See you at the shows soon I hope!
I am finished here now no more information on the thread if someone needs information go to the website for the program I put up to see.

Candy stay away from this person watch the video on the site that is above ON the thread this is big money in New York and all over the country according to the film strip from the news channel.

I just wanted to understand the story. I don't know about anything else.

Louise, what I meant about home visits is that they need to happen before the dog leaves your home. It doesn't do any good to do it a month later, when the dog might be long gone and the address might be a parking lot. Just make sure to have that done in advance next time.
This guy was a complete jerk, but he's not alone. There are plenty of people out there who see dollar signs when they see a free dog.
I'm still amazed at the amount of money they were paying this guy. It is profitable enough that he will do it again with someone else, as you said. You should ask that company if they are still buying dogs from him, considering how he is obtaining these dogs.

Re: was Fraud By Paul Stapleton now - charging for dogs

Hi
I have a question. I have heard other people say that you should never let a dog for free.
How does charging for a dog guarantee that the dog goes to an appropriate home or that the personwho has paid the fee isn't planning to use the dog for something other than what they say. In a case like this even if the person had paid for Duke given the money that he was making the cost of the dog is money well invested.
People who are planning to use dogs for purposes other than that stated will find a way around most safeguards - including home visits. If someone has the opportunity to turn the dog into a cash grab paying for it might take away from the bottom line but ultimately won't stop them from what they plan to do.
JMO
Dawn

Cindy and I both tried to reach him after 1 week and could not finally on Easter he mailed me said he was doing fine and fit right in his home. Cindy called his cell and left messages and she never called me to tell me she did not reach him for the visit until much later. If she had told me I would of been on it allot quicker. But you hear sob stories from people some I do believe some I do not. I never charge for a dog of my breeding to a new home I was compensated for the pup once and all I do is try to find great homes for them. I have only done this 3 times 2 males of mine retired and also one Girl retired because he was working where one of my pups was going to work with the puppy buyer every day at a Harley Davidson store. She goes to work with the owner of that store every day he goes in, the other ones are here in my town and I do get to see and visit with them.
Paul just disappeared off the face of the earth but I was determined I would find Duke and I did very quickly thank Heaven for the Internet and a wonderful honest person at the company that did all he could to get Duke out of the business and back here with me until Cindy has housing for him to go back to New York with him.
You trust people and I will never do this again for any offspring or other dog given to me to find a home for. I was told Dukes funds for his purchase will have to be paid back to the company. I have no Idea if they will except any more dogs from him or not but he is out there looking for dogs now. According to Candy above he contacted her.
I check all references for puppy buyers here and they have to be approved for a pup from me for more than just a home.
Thank you for the advice . Like I said never ever again.
Louise

Re: Re: was Fraud By Paul Stapleton now - charging for dogs

Charging for them ensures that some of the profit goes away. Of course in this situation, probably no reasonable price could've prevented it. But say someone's buying dogs to sell to a research lab. As he only gets maybe $100 or $200 for that dog from the lab, he's not going to want to pay more than $50 for it--otherwise, he'll spend more to get the dog and get the dog to the lab, than he'll make by doing it. Or someone who wants to use the dog you're giving away as bait for fighting dogs--he'd rather get a free one from the lady down the street with puppies (or $20, or $25, or whatever) than pay you $200 for a dog that he's just going to kill anyways.

No, it's not going to stop them from using dogs for labs or as pit bull bait, but it is going to stop them from using YOUR dog as such. There are situations when pricing a dog isn't going to help any, of course there are situations like this where if she'd put a pricetag of $500 on this dog, the guy still would've made money off him. But really those are few and far between. Most people wanting free dogs or cheap dogs are the kind of people who are just going to stick him on a chain in the backyard once he stops being cute anyways.

FWIW, I have two of my dogs currently working for Mike. It's not "Mark" as was first posted.
Mike himself drove to Ohio to pick these dogs up , on two different occasions and upon completion of a couple of field tests he took them back for intensive training.
I do know that the family has labradors for their own personal pets. Mike has been in the business for a very long time and is a super super person. Hard to get hold of but yet anyone working for Homeland Security is hard to get hold of !

Maybe Paul did truly want the dog for his own personal pet but saw a great potential in Duke after he had brought him home?????

I for one am extremly proud of the work that my two dogs do for our Country !!!!!!!

I think that the company returning the dog to you Louise, speaks for the reputation of the great company that Mike made it and intends for it to stay that way.

I'd like to know why getting the lawyer involved if you've got the dog back and he is fine?
AND then you're turning around and donating or selling dogs to the company in the future ?????????
What am I missing here ?

Angie,
I replied to you by email last night as to why I was seeking a lawyer for Cindy and myself. It was because of all the phone calls and threats he made to Cindy and myself and also because he never returned his personal belongings sent with Duke to his new pet home his AKC medallion and his Collar for if lost in the city with information to contact the AKC with the information of the owner. #1 and his other personal items Rake good one, Comb and special very expensive shampoos and conditioners and also his meds and shot paper records and rabies tags on his collar with his AKC medallion, so now you see why and also for the undue stress he put myself thru with his lies and location problems and not abiding by the contract he signed I did not break his arm to sign this. He only had $$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs in his eyes, In fact while I came into the house to get the paper work I happened to look out the window and I did see him throwing a decoy for him in the side yard when I went out again he stopped and put it in the back of the truck and I asked if he hunted he said no. I asked him why he was throwing the decoy he said he just wanted to see if Duke would retrieve it, Well another lie I am sure testing him to see if he would go for it,. His license plate said New York but his address was New Jersey he said a business truck licensed in New York and yes I knew he had a business in New York so I let it drop also but I did write the plate # down for a just in case never had to go that far. I am very happy that you are proud of your dogs working in the company but it does take a very special kind of dog to do this. As I told you in my mail not for Duke at all.
I will donate as I see fit for my dogs and rescue dogs that come here to be helped with a family home.
My choice !
Louise

What is Paul Stapleton e mail?

Angie if it is you asking for Paul's email address I just mailed you privately/ after going on your website for your phone # and none listed I called the one you gave me 3 times in your email it is not your phone#. The person there in your hometown is a breeder also and knows you and called me back. She has no Idea why you would give her personal phone # to me to contact you.
Also went to see your up coming litters and called Shalene and Deb told me she had no idea you had one of her dogs involved in your breeding program this year on your site. No information to here except one call about it and that was that never heard from you again about it.I also acquired other email addresses for you which I can not mail all of them I have no time.
If you want Pauls email contact the company Stapleton Assoc. and ask them for the information there that they have for contacts. I put this information on the forum to present a problem with a person that is not of the truth and honest person and committed fraud with Duke to beware of his tall tails and not fall for his stories.
I thought you said you dealt with the company with 2 of your dogs you should still have there phone # give them a call. I am not going to contribute to any wrong doing on my part to give out emails for contact nor telephone #s to you or any one else. I will not attribute to any giving of his personal information. I do not want to be put in a position to have to deal with another issue of Paul Stapleton coming after me for giving his personal information out on the web any where. Not worth the risk for me/ So if Angie or who ever wants his email or phone #s call the company you may luck out and get it. As far as any more information or mailing to you I am done . I do so not care to speak t oa person that is not giving the correct information . You emailed me to call you and I did I emailed you back 3 times . I think I have done as you requested of me.If you have any further business with me you may call me my pphone # is on my website you have my email address from the ones I mailed to you. If not Angie asking then whoever please just contact the company do not ask me I will not comply!
Louise