Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mini Tube

I recently did my own little **in house** mini tube study using their Canipro 5 extender. This is definitely some pretty cool stuff. I collected Robin last Friday, added the CaniPro5 and set it in the refrigerator. I've been checking it every couple of days and of last night (Thursday) the semen still looked very good.

This is going to make our lives much less complicated with the snafus (did I SPELL that correctly? don't want any of dem der grammer POlice after me!) that always seem to evolve around weekend shipping, etc, etc. I haven't tried the CaniPro 10 yet, and am wondering if anyone has done any in house testing with that one.

Two thumbs up to MinTube.

-Jill

Re: Mini Tube

Funny you mention Minitube! I don't know how I got on their mailing list, but a got a nice packet of info w/pricing in the mail yesterday.

Re: Re: Mini Tube

I have been on Minitube web site, but could not find any info on pricing. Could you please email me privately.
Thanks

Gail,
I'm at work, so I don't have the packet in front of me, but I believe the Sales Associate's name was Shelly. Might email or give her a call and ask for the packet.

Forgot to mention... it was the "Canine" kit I received, so I guess best to specify you want the canine kit.

We have used the Canipro 10 for several years with good results. Last year we had a bitch in heat and leaving for the Potomac with the intended stud dog. We collect him in Canipro and put it in the frig. The bitch was ready to breed 8 days later and was inseminated with the stored semen. She had 6 puppies.
At the Potomac this year, we collected one of our dog's and a fellow breeder took it in her suitcase back to Europe. She just let us know the bitch is pregnant.
We have shipped it over the holidays many times with great results. It is a great product that really opens all kind of possibilities for breeders.

Lisa - is this the one you add the egg yolk to? How old was the semen that went to Europe when it was eventually used?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Mini Tube

The contact person's name at MiniTube that I have dealt with is Shelly Welch. Her phone number is: 800-646-4882. Her email swelch@minitube.com

Here are some prices from Mini-Tubes current price list:
CaniPRO 5 - $25.00 for 20ml
CaniPRO 10 - $25.00 for 20ml

Transport box for K-9 semen with two 5ml syringes, two 13ml buffer tubes, one 50ml conical bottom tube and two ice packs - $22.50

As you can see, all prices are very reasonable. The shipping container is awesome. They are reusable and well worth the money.

Call or email Shelly and she will send you out a packet of information.

I used Minitube Cani-Pro 5 for the first time a few weeks ago. The pricing was very very good for the bitch owner and the boxes were wonderful - small, light, and very user friendly for me and the tube of semen. The extender was very easy to use as well - in the fridge and not the freezer so no worries on thawing out.

My friend used the Cani-Pro 10 a few months back. It worked really well however getting farm fresh eggs is a pain and then making sure you separate ALL the white was a pain as well.

LOL - we have chickens, so I can get a warm, just-laid egg if I want, no problem. I haven't tried cleaning a yolk off yet, though - it sounds a little time-consuming from the instructions.

This sounds very good. Could someone explain a little. I have not read about this much. Is it the extender we are buying ? I looked on the web page. Where are their boxes to ship. And is there a mini tube. Someone give us a good link or explain just a bit. Appreciated.

There is so much more info in the packet which they sent out that is not on their web site.
Here is the link to contact info for Shelly (the Sales Associate specializing in canine products).

http://www.minitube.com/species_products.asp?Cat_ID=2&MI_ID=420

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Tube

Thanks for the info.

I, like Lisa , have been using the CaniPro10 for several years now and it is great. I once had to collect a dog because he was leaving for shows and would not be available for his breeding the following week. I began collecting him 7 days before the expected breeding and collected him 3 times (and put the semen in 3 different CaniPro tubes) , sent it all to the bitch owner and she began inseminating a week later when her bitch was ready----9 puppies!

Re: Re: Re: Mini Tube

Did I not hear you also say that you have used CaniPro 5 as an "additive" for those fresh AI's when dogs do not produce much ejaculate so you have a total more volumme to use ? - probably totally off label use but something that could help a so so AI-- Won't increase the number of sperm, however.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Tube

"CaniPro 5 as an "additive" for those fresh AI's when dogs do not produce much ejaculate"

Sort of. You don't need more volume since the bitch's cervix only holds about 2 - 3 mLs but what it does do is add some nutrients for the sperm so they swim better and last longer. Many breeders/vets will recommend adding a little extender to an older stud's collection when doing fresh AIs.

Question - do the eggs HAVE to be "farm fresh"?

No, the eggs don't have to be "farm fresh" - according to the rep at the Potomac seminar, store-bought eggs are plenty fresh for the job.

Patti, that's what I also heard...... about the store bought eggs. How simple can these guys make it for us.

Increcible, thanks

Phew! Thanks - I helped with a collection and brought along the store-bought eggs, so I worried I would be strung up by my thumbs if it didn't take!