Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interesting thought

These states that are considering manditory spay neuter don't even have their facts right. Here in NH, and I am sure we are not unique, we DON'T have a dog overpopulation issue, we don't have many strays. Our state vet medical association believes our spay neuter programs and education have worked.

Our shelters are not full of strays from here, they are full of strays from other places, dogs from the midwest, dogs from teh south, Katrina dogs, and island dogs. Dogs they import to meet the demand for dogs to adopt.

Go figure

barb

Re: interesting thought

It drives me around the bend that our local shelters import strays mainly from the south. NH has done a good job with education and spay/neuter for sure.

Re: Re: interesting thought

I think thats part of the problem. NH has done such a great job at spay/neuter that the only way the shelters can stay in business is to import. Our local shelter is full to the brim with improted animals and they just have no room to take in local animals that need a home. I don't get it myself.

Re: Re: Re: interesting thought

whats wrong with shelters with room taking strays from outside their "area"?
Isn't that what shelters are there for?

Re: interesting thought

Importing animals from out of the country and then blaming the so-called overpopulation on breeders isn't good either.

Supply and demand is different in different areas.