Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best way to get lactating mom's coat back?

My yellow bitch who is currently still nursing, has developed some pretty bad looking bald patches on each of her sides...they almost look like they match. I know that lactating mom's coats can end up looking rather bad, patchy and ratty, but I've never seen bald patches this big! I'd say they are about 2-3 inches wide and 5-6 inches long. Any ideas on the best way(s)to get her coat back on it's way to recovery? The way it's looking now...EEEK!

Thanks!
Kathy

Re: Best way to get lactating mom's coat back?

I've found that there's not much you can do but let it run its course. Its normal and hormonal.

Re: Re: Best way to get lactating mom's coat back?

I second that! I've tried all the products and I find that time is the best healer here. My girl's coats grow back when the pups are about 12 weeks old, whether I spent a fortune on products or not. Once they are fully weaned and the pups are no longer taking alot out of the mom, things turn around and a month or 5 weeks later or so, voila, the coat starts to improve. The timing of the litter can make it appear worse, so this time of year, when they would have been blowing coat anyway, regardless of having a litter, can make it even worse. I have a girl whose pups were born March 23, and she was looking very moth eaten, but I am noticing that each day now, it's filling in just a little bit more. Another female here who didn't have pups is blowing coat like crazy too. It's just a waiting game. Good luck with your girl and your babies.

They look the worst after weaning their pups, but they look their all time best when the coat grows back in! Just keep her on a high protein food. Hair is built from protein!

I feel your pain, my girl is bald on her sides right now... 8 weeks post whelp. I have added some dietary supplements for coat to her kible, but I have to say it took about two months the last time (prob would clear up even without the supplements)