Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

HOW LONG SHOULD I KEEP MY DOG ON PUPPY FOOD HE IS 14 MONTHS TODAY AND A SHOW PROSPECT, ANY IN PUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Re: HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

Check with your breeder and see what they recommend.
It may even be mentioned in your contract.

Re: Re: HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

THANKS FOR THE INPUT, I KNOW SOME PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT IDEAS

I took mine off at 10 months because she was physically mature, had gone into season, had never had the uglies (she grew VERY evenly), and was getting FAT on less food than she'd had at 6 months.

She is still fat on the adult food, but is slimming down.

MY MALE IS A FAIRLY GOOD EATER BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO GET FAT,HE IS PRETTY ACTIVE,,I FEED NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE LARGE PUPPY FOR DRY AND SOME CANNED PEIGREE MIXED IN

I take my dogs off puppy food at around 4 months.

Please type in mixed case and not all caps... All caps is like shouting. Thank you!

I take my males off puppy food at 6 months. Slower growth is preferable for me!!

Re: Re: Re: HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

Thanks for your input

I switch at 6 months

Thanks for all the replies ,so far it seems most people take there puppies off way before one year old,my male dog is 14 months old today and has grown very evenenly,maybe 75 or so pounds now but in no way fat i was wondering if he needed adult food now ,thanks

Re: Re: Re: HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

Hmm, I don't know - is he small?
I have 7-8 month old males weighing in at 65lbs + Not an ounce of fat on them.
If he's small, maybe I'd keep him on puppy food??

Off Puppy food at 6 months also and no canned for mine. Check with your dog's breeder Lauren.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HOW LONG TO STAY ON PUPPY FOOD

Well I think Lauren's boy at 75 lbs is just fine.

Not plugging the brand, butI was reading something on the Canidae All Life Stages dog food pages which I thought interesting... I guess it explaines they don't offer a "puppy fomula".
http://www.canidae.com/ingredients/whyalllife.html

"In nature your pets couldn’t choose between a puppy, kitten, or light formulation, only a diet of mainly meats and small amounts of grain. They simply eat more or less, depending on age and activity levels. CANIDAE and FELIDAE both contain more than 50% of high quality meat proteins.
..... Puppies will require a higher caloRic and calcium phosphorous intake than an adult dog would, therefore we suggest feeding twice as much to puppies up to 6 months of age. Our standard recommended feeding guidelines for an adult dog is 1 cup for every 25lbs of body weight. You can be assured with 468 kcal per cup, your puppy will be getting more than most standard puppy foods on the market."

Anyone have any thoughts?

To answer the original question... I have mine switched over to adult formula kibble around 16 - 17 weeks usually.

Thanks so much for every ones input it is very interesting to hear different peoples opinion on this and why,,,,again thanks

I don't believe in magic numbers... Basically I switch puppies to ProPlan performance at approximately 4-6 months, and exactly when depends on when the bag of puppy food runs out.

Hi Lauren,
Jane T tells me that you have quite the nice boy from Marion Hopkinson. I am looking forward to seeing him this summer.
I always suggest switching over to adult food at around 6 months (depending upon whether or not you are just opening or just finishing the opened bag)unless there are specific health concerns to either switch the youngster off sooner, or remain with the puppy formula for a bit longer.

Stay cool in all that lovely water!
Margaret

Thanks for your advice it definetly seems that the experienced people reccomend switching at 6 months so i will start on adult food next week,,,,i would love for you to see this young dog,,,,and lots of swimming ,,,,in fact he loves to swim with allie,,although she has to tell him off every five minutes!!!

Lauren - like humans, dogs don't all thrive on the same diet. I guess the reason people have been suggesting you follow the breeder's advice is because they often know best what suits their lines.

For the past six years, we have steered clear of puppy food. All our Labs - from pups to veterans - eat the same food and we are delighted with the results.

If he shows or do a lot of excercise, all his life