Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urine leaking in 2 year old spayed bitch

A puppy buyer contacted me asking about her girl. When she has a "busy day" in resting position she wil leak some urine. Only happens on end of her busy days.
I was hoping to get them to check hips. One of my thoughts is calcification on hip joints causing pinch of the nerves which causes loss of urine when over used. Any more thoughts or experiences to share?. No UTI.

Re: Urine leaking in 2 year old spayed bitch

What age was she spayed at?

On when she was spayed. If prior to a heat it could cause incontinence. Did you advise when to spay?

When who has a "busy day" - the owner or the dog? What is a busy day? Does that mean the dog was left for 12+ hours and she can hardly hold it anymore? Am I missing something?

maybe it is muscle related if it only happens when her exercise has been increased.

She was spayed at 1 year. She had not had a heat but vet said she would have come in in next couple of weeks of being a year.

Busy day meaning dog has been busy. Playing with others dogs at park etc.

Thanks for help so far.

we have a female we had spayed at 2 and after that she would be lying on the floor sleeping and suddenly she was in a puddle of urine. It continued to happen more and more often. Sometimes she would wet in her crate at night. It is a result of the spaying but I don't think it has anything to do with the age at which this is done. We have her on Proin 50mg with breakfast and dinner and she isn't doing it anymore. It is like some women have to take medication for incontinence. You might have the owners try that, it is a prescription. Works very well. No accidents since starting this a year ago.

Re: Re: Urine leaking in 2 year old spayed bitch

This can be a fairly common problem in spayed females.
I have 2 girls that started not long after being spayed.They have been on Estradiol 0.5mg once a week for years. It works great. Your Vet will have to get it for you.

our vet said that since we have a mature intact male we not do the estrogen thing but Proin instead. Do you have any problems with the hormone treatment around males?

Any of my girls spayed after done whelping have had no incontinence issues years later. Each had several litters, large repro organs removed at the time of the spay with no problems after. Then why are younger bitches that were never bred having urinary incontinence?

I believe there is an age related issue, how many if any seasons they have gone through as well as who does the spay and how experienced and meticulous they are with the surgery.

JMO