Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to do?

Promising 6-month-old puppy with a case of the puppy uglies. Do you show him anyway for the experience, knowing that eventually he'll come together? Or do you wait until he's matured?
Liz

Re: What to do?

I would not show him in an ugly stage, no.
Plenty of time for people to see him when he looks GOOD!!!
Keep him home!! People remember the bad stuff more than the good!

Re: Re: What to do?

We have shown them anyway for the experience. However, we did the showing ourselves. We did not pay a handler to show them in this stage. Generally we don't use a handler until they are atleast in the 12-18 month stage. I understand the idea of not bringing them out when they are in the uglies. However, we have a very big boy who has been in Open since he was 8 months old. He is a Lacey full brother (well from a separate litter, but same parents), and he is very strong. If we had waited for him to grow up before bringing him out, we would have had a very strong boy in the ring with no idea what he is suppose to do. He is very strong, but well aware of ring protocol, and is very well mannered when being judged. Others will probably feel differently, but we feel like if we are going, then we take the ones who need the experience too. It has worked well for us.

Work on the CD title while the puppy matures.

I was reminded early in my showing career that people develop their opinion of your dogs from the show ring and entering dogs when they aren't ready doesn't do anything for your reputation. Not as a person but of the dogs you own/breed. First impressions last forever.

Let them grow up, have fun and do a performance with them. Make them an all-round dog in the meantime.

A local training club here has conformation classes that are conducted pretty much like a show, where the trainer stands in as a Judge, goes over the dog and you get your practice in. They're only $5 a class too, which beats the $25 for a show, especially if you're only looking for practice at this point. Maybe you can find something along these lines in your area.

Good luck!

I wouldn't necessarily do a CD, but I might do a JH. CD involves sitting in situations that are too similar to conformation showing. As far as ring experience, I find that less is more. Socialize him well, bring him to shows but don't enter him, but don't go to too many handling classes. Handling classes can make the dog very bored. Teach him freebaiting with table scraps or treats at home (I call this kitchen training.) Don't use a leash or collar. That makes it easier in the show ring later - the leash/collar is just decoration really. Hopefully he will grow out of the uglies at the same time his coat comes in!

Re: Re: What to do?

I agree with Nancy about not too many classes. My boy really doesn't like the show ring a whole lot.
I was learning when he was learning and the outcome is he goes in because I want him to. I used to put him in every class I could and at those classes there was no mention of playing with your dog to keep them happy in the ring. Just stack, stack, stack. So, if you put him in classes make sure you make it fun for him. If you have a soft dog like mine, you'll need even more fun in the ring.

Just my opinion.
Donna