Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Loaders

Okay Everybody......we'd like everyone's opinion on the front loader Washer and Dryers. Will hopefully be moving into a new home in the near future, and we are looking to replace our current appliances. Who out there...........LOVES their machines? Lots to choose from.
Thanks,
J & J

Re: Front Loaders

I recently got a new front loader and I absolutely LOVE it. I bought a Bosch Nexxt 500 front loading washer about two months ago. I also bought the matching dryer and I like it too, but the washer is to die for. I've never had a front loader before, so I was shocked at how clean and bright my clothes are now. The difference in cleaning ability of a FL versus a top loader is dramatic. The front loader is also great for washing dog blankets and crate pads.

If you do buy a FL washer you should try to get one with an onboard heater, as they clean better than washers without a heater. I have washed old, stained t-shirts of my husbands that now look like new. Before the new washer they were destined for the rag bag, as the stains were very old and set in by the dryer.

I have a Kenmore Elite and LOVE it. The nice thing is that you can stuff them full and your items will still come out very clean. It has a much larger capacity than traditional washers and it comes in handy. I have a sanitize cycle which is nice too.

Re: Re: Front Loaders

I have the whirlpool Duets. I love them. They are more efficient as the clothes come out of the washer dryer, and they use less water to clean. They also are larger and cuts down on the amount of loads I do! Another plus is they don't go off balance. But make sure you don't put any ceramic dog dishes on top of the washer when you are using it, as they will vibrate off!!!

Re: Re: Re: Front Loaders

I have the GE set, and I absolutely love them. I can pack the washer full, and thenthey are dry in the amount of time it takes to run another load, somethimes sooner. It has a sensor in it, and will shut off sooner if the clothes dry before the time runs out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Loaders

I have a GE set FL also.....absolutely great. My husband won't let me use it for the dog blankets though I have to use the old top load for that- what a difference in size etc....FL is much better in all aspects!

We do not like our LG. Leaks out the front. Dryer is fine. Washer needed repair. Parts not readly avaliable. Took two weeks, still doesn't work. Our repair man recommended Whirlpool.

I have the Tromm LG washer & dryer, too. The washer does leak out the front, but it's just a little, and it's not every load. I really like the capacity, especially with the dryer. My dogs sleep on folded comforters so I can wash & dry them weekly, and I can throw a couple of other things in with each comforter now (other blankets, sheets, towels). With the top loader, I couldn't fit anything with the comforter, and I often had to do an extra rinse to get the soap out. The front loader spins the water out better and cuts the drying time significantly.
You really have to use the high efficiency detergent with a front loader.

We just bought the largest Miele Touchtronic Washing Machine and just love it. We use less water and energy for sure !!!! When our dryer goes out, we will buy the matching Miele Dryer to. We also bought the pedistal that the machine stands on. Saves on your poor back otherwise.

Re: Re: Re: Front Loaders

Forgot to mention that in our research, Maytag has had alot of recalls on their machines. Our last washing machine was a Signiture from Costco. I guess we got our $200 worth out of it. It lasted all of 2 years and we had the pleasure of what sounded like a Rocket Ship going off during every spin cycle. Then our dryer is a maytag...lower end model. That dryer is the worst machine we've ever owned so I'll be glad to see that one packed off and a new one replaced. Every time one of our machines have broken down, we have a new litter on the ground as murphy would have it

I have had the Whirlpool Duet washer and Dyer for about 3.5 years and I love them. Mine also has the Sanitary cycle -where the machine superheats the water which is great for doing puppy laundry.

Happy Shopping!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Loaders

I think we are having a similar problem with our LG. It's not happening all the time though and not sure exactly where the leak might be...it works wonderfully though except for that.

We had a Gibson front loading set for the last 12 years. They really handled the sand and grime from dog blankets very well. We just got the Bosch mid-range set and LOVE them! They are so quiet and hold a tremendous amount of laundry. Several dealers told us to NOT buy the LG - too many problems and no one to service them.

we have had our whirlpool duets for 4.5 yrs now with no issues.
periodically you need to remove the rubber gasket around the rim on the washer to remove hair etc, but otherwise they hold alot more laundry and are more energy efficient. you can program them to run at night so you are paying less on your electric bills. As with most appliances, purchasing from a company that offers their own service people is key.

happy shopping - you might also want to check out www.consumerreports.org for their latest recommendations

We have an LG at work and it leaks even after being "repaired" 4 times. Call me crazy but I feel better when my clothing is washed in lots of water and soap.

Maytag Neptune washer and dryer - fabulous

I HATED my Maytage Neptune washer, I got rid of it in less than a year, the washer did NOT get clothes clean ever! I actually got part of my money back from the manufacturer, in a class action lawsuit!

I have the Whirlpool front loading. The new style is out recently, that one I don't have. They also make one a little smaller now so watch the models and sizes. I have no complaints at all.

I heard from a reliable source that with any LG large appliance if it breaks they do not know HOW to fix them I would stress caution on that manufacturer only to my knowledge.

I've seen some beautiful Samsung's and one friend has it in stainless, loves it.

Also, look for floor models even if the older model, I would think there are none left but YMMV on the original model. Floor models can be had fairly cheap, different than a TV as it isn't being run in the store. The platforms run around $200 extra each but that price is negotiable depending on where you shop

For dog coat in the machines pull out the vac after a load and walla, it is gone. Have fun shopping, pleas stay away from the LG as you can see others have had issues. If money is no object go with the Samsung stainless, otherwise I would recommend the Whirlpool or GE.

We saw the light blue, and red Samsung FL's and loved them. Whirpool Duets looked great too. We will certainly read all the Consumer Reviews, and do our home work before our purchases. Thanks Everybody for your helpful input. We WILL want to be able to do the dog's linens in these when we have pups, etc.....Our current machines struggle with our dog's Cosco Blankets.
Thanks,
Jules/Lyrical

I recommend them!

I have the Whirlpool he3 for 3 yrs now. With 3 kids and litters, mine go non-stop. no repairs!!!!

First day, I washed every thing in my house... Great for pillows, bedding and rugs. Youvdo need to be careful with rubber backing. It will plug your subpump.

I wouldn't recommend the platforms. You need a solid surface to keep these monsters from shaking. They spin the clothes almost dry.

I recommend getting them

I can put two of the costco throws in the neptune at once - no problem and they come out very clean :) My washing style is fling it in and push buttons so any machine that can deal with me ( these are now 2 years old) is pretty good in my books
DvN

I just called LG customer service to ask a different question, but while I had the representative on the line, I asked her what could cause water to leak out the front door sometimes, but not always. She suggested that pet hair, dirt, or anything else that could build up on the seal would keep it from sealing completely and might allow a little water to leak out. She also said you have to be using high efficiency detergent (which I am). I'm going to start cleaning out the hair around the seal to see if that helps.