Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Itchy *itch*

My girl has been itching for years. I tried everything and could not find a cure. About a week ago, the itching mysteriously stopped. She is also gacking. I had her to the vet and after x-rays, blood work and a very thorough exam, she was found to have no obvious medical problems.

Has anyone ever had a dog become itch free after years of scratching & licking? Isn't it crazy to worry about something that would seem to be a good thing? It is just so odd.

Re: Itchy *itch*

Have you had a food change in the past few months?

Re: Re: Itchy *itch*

She has been on the sensitive skin & stomach kibble for 4 months.

Re: Re: Re: Itchy *itch*

Which brand is sensitive skin and stomach? I know of a dog that scratches more than the norm. Not an issue where there is noticably something wrong with the coat because of it, but he does scratches too much. It would be interesting if it stops on four months of that food!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Itchy *itch*

Purina One.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Itchy *itch*

I have a house cat that is an obsessive groomer--will scratch and groom until he has plucked all the hair out of his groin and belly and sometimes even has sores.

Put him on ProPlan sensitive skin and stomach and noticed a marked difference in a month or so. His hair has grown back and he doesn't have as many sores. My other house cat is a "gacker," so we have Itchy and Urpy on the sensitive skin and stomach and it seems to have helped them both.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Itchy *itch*

That could very well be why she has stopped itching. Switching foods doesn't immediately help, it takes months for the old food to get out of the system. I would bet money that's why she is no longer itching, and that she has a food sensitivity. Be happy!