Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 year old female Lab problem??????

I have just come home to see one of my girls straining and doing circles trying to have a BM and eliminate something......She is not confortable and won't let me touch her.....What can I give her as a stool softener to help her have a BM or eliminate what she has????? I only have Baby Oil in the house and have never had this before. Its like severe constipation ......I am hoping someone has seen this before and it can wait until 7:30 tomorrow morning for the Vet. We don't have an ER Vet at night near us any more......Thanks,

Re: 6 year old female Lab problem??????

One of my dogs does that when the anal glands are irritated or full, almost a panic-y can't get comfortable situation.

I hope that this resolves for you, Good luck!

Can you give her an enema? That would give her the quickest relief. Make sure someone helps hold her, and be very gentle when you give it.

Re: Re: 6 year old female Lab problem??????

What about bloat?

Re: Re: Re: 6 year old female Lab problem??????

One of my girls had that same problem. My vet told me to give her about half cup of canned pumpkin. We did, and it worked.

Non productive straining and/or trying to vomit is a classic symptom of bloat. When dealing with Bloat time is critical. If you suspect bloat please get help fast!

Re: Re: 6 year old female Lab problem??????

It appears that alot of hard stuff came out and water and then lots of loose stools....Hopefully she has passed whatever it is......What are the other symptoms for bloat?????? I think this was just a blockage that seems to be clearing........

Oh thank goodness! With the things our labs consume, it's amazing that we don't see more blockages. Thanks for the update.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6 year old female Lab problem??????

I have a 6 yr old bitch who just has a problem having a BM,Just her. Give her a lick of mineral oil.
soften it right up.

" What are the other symptoms of bloat?"

http://woodhavenlabs.com/bloat.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=402

Leeda,

Glad you girl has passed this stool and hoping she is more comfortable and that it is nothing serious. You can also give metamucil in a case like this.

I want to say 1/2 - 1 tspn but double check the dosage with your vet.

You may want to give her a probiotic as well if the loose stool continues - to sooth her intestinal tract.