Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
anyone ever use tuna in a bait recipe?

I came across a bait recipe, "Tuna Brownies". I've always made the liver bread bait... has anyone ever tried making and using tuna brownies type show bait??

And if so, any tried and true recipes to share?

I'd also be curious as to bait recipe that call for chicken liver or chicken hearts instead of using the typically used beef liver. Duh, question... I've never noticed chicken liver or chicken hearts for sale in our regular grocery store, but maybe that's because I wasn't looking for it... altough I'm sure they aren't near the beef liver in the frozen section. Do your regular grocery stores carry chicken liver/chicken hearts normally?

Re: anyone ever use tuna in a bait recipe?

I think this is what my friend had a an agility trial this weekend. My girl was NUTS for it!

Found this online. It says to drain the tuna but I am certain she said she did not.

Tuna Brownies
Tuna Brownies: Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Drain 2 regular sized cans of tuna and pour into large mixing bowl.Mix in 2 eggs.Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour.Add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder (or substitute with crushed garlic)Blend well, into a doughy ball, and spread about 1/4 inch thick in a big,greased cookie sheet.Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden. Cut into tiny squares, however small you need them. I also sprinkle extra garlic powder on top before putting it in the oven. I store them in the freezer because I make several batches at a time but they do keep for a good bit in an airtight container. Salmon can also be substituted for tuna.

Thanks, good to hear you Labbie liked it ... that's almost identical to the recipes I've found!

The one says to drain the liquid (water from tuna) and save, then to add enough liquid when mixing ingredients to make a brownie consistency batter.
Also for the 1-1/2 cups flour, say use any type flour... wheat, rice potato... just adjust the amount of liquid needed.
Really anxious to get baking and try it!

Yep, with all the food/treat recalls lately, I've been making "fish fudge" for bait for both agility and the breed ring. My dogs LOVE it!!

two cans tuna (I don't drain)
two eggs
1-1.5c flour
as much galic powder as you feel like adding
you can also add parmasian cheese
put it all in the mixmaster (or hand stir) until you have a cookie dough consistancy.

Bake at 350 for 20 min in a 9x11 pan...I think those are the demensions, I'm not much a of human food baker . Allow to cool for 10-15 min and cut into small squares. Refridgerate until you're ready to leave for the show.

Your pups will love it, although your kitchen will smell like fish for a while

Re: anyone ever use tuna in a bait recipe? / now beef heart

If you can find beef heart (prob from a specialty butcher shop and not in your chain grocery store) - slice it and boil for a bit. Then lightly grease a cookie sheet or cover a pan with foil and lightly grease - slow bake the heart strips. You can add garlic powder if you like or just slow bake it plain (like 150-200 degrees until well done but not as well done as jerky). Dogs love it.

You can buy a whole beef heart from an Oma's Pride (raw food) dealer, or ask a butcher to order you one (they are huge). I have tried turkey hearts (large) cut in half or quarters and prepared the same way. Beef seems to work better.

Use light tuna not white tuna. It is lower in mercury.

Re: Re: anyone ever use tuna in a bait recipe?

How does this hold up at shows in hot weather? Even in a cooler, liver always smells bad after it has sat all day. I will try to make these over the weekend, freeze them then try it at my next show!

It was about 80 all weekend and it seemed to hold up well....it only smelled like tuna

Re: Re: anyone ever use tuna in a bait recipe?

Ah fish burps!! Can't wait!!

I've used the Moc's liver treats recipe (http://workingdogs.com/doc0179.htm) varying the ingredients based on what I had around. I usually end up using wheat flour. I tried adding a little corn meal - don't bother. Too crumbly. Besides beef liver, I've tried chicken liver, chicken, ground beef and regular beef. Overall, liver worked best, and ground beef was awful - too greasy. The other meats worked just fine. Never tried fish! I might try that next time. What about raw or frozen fish instead of canned? I also was looking at the meat ends in the deli. Pretty inexpensive and quite a variety.

In addition to garlic, I also like to add parsley. Fresh if I have it, or dried.

I love this stuff - I make it in batches and use my Foodsaver to freeze it in small (1 day pocket sized) batches. The Foodsaver makes it leak proof so I can toss the bags into a cooler with ice without worrying that they will get soggy.