Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lab Laughter

Hi All,

Time to give you all a good laugh with a true story. This email was sent to me this morning from one of my puppy buyers. Buttercup is the daughter of my Bianca. Carol gave me permission to post this.

Enjoy,
Sharlene
------------------------------------------------------
Shar

It’s never a dull moment when you have 3 Labs, 2 cockatiels, 3 finches and fish.

It was just 3 years ago yesterday, when I heard the shrills of Anna Grace in the upstairs bathroom as she saw a snake slither in front of her while sitting on the toilet with legs in the air. I don’t think any of us will forget that. Having said that, we are partly to blame for the spontaneous visitation of creatures. I would like to say we have a nice home that is inviting, but the truth is, we leave the screen doors open on the deck and the walkout for easy exits for the dogs.

This morning was no different. Sidekick (12yrs) who sleeps with us, got me up at 6:15. I went downstairs to the basement and released Blossom (23mo.) and Buttercup (5 ½ mo) out of their condo (crates). Everyone was fed and away to the outdoors they went. I proceeded to fold laundry. With a stack of towels in tow, I summoned the creatures. Like bulls at a rodeo, “coming out of shoot #2”, they converged into the doorway and the dogs led the way up the stairs. The stairwell to upstairs was dark, and ALL movement came to a screeching halt when eight eyes honed in like lazar beams on, a rabbit!!! Frenzy erupted. (now, picture the dog race track with all the dogs chasing the fake bunny). Everyone, including the rabbit darted past me back down the steps. The towels were thrown in the air and I am trying to get ahead of the “hunt”. The bunny (having never stayed here before) had no idea how to get out and was running all over the place around the basement. Adolescence and youth take over. Blossom got it once and released it. I was grabbing necks and hoping “little fuzzy” could escape. Hearts were pounding! Lab “reputations” were on the line. Wham! Buttercup dives under Blossom and comes up with “the prize of all prizes”. Her eyes big as saucers, with Mr Cottontail” clenched, she froze. Blossom, stood frozen with her nuzzle right up against Buttercup as to say “whatever you do, don’t let go”. I gently encouraged “Buttercup, release”, as I pried open the “jaws of death”. Grateful for life, (that’s what the bunny conveyed as I looked into its little brown eyes) I took her outside and placed it over the fence in safe territory. Sidekick is hobbling, Blossom’s bummed out, and Buttercup is still in shock.

It is still early and my family is still asleep. OH, gotta go, 2 dogs just ran past me with paper plates in their mouths. NO KIDDING.

Carol

Re: Lab Laughter

Now picture all of this commotion going on with my girlfriend minus the extra animals and only 2 dogs. She let the dogs out yesterday annnnnnd wonder of wonders what to they spy in the yard but Pepe, their new best friend (briefly). The dogs and Pepe, bounded around the yard with Pepe's black and white stripes leading the way. Then Pepe found his way in through the sliding glass door into the safety and haven of her house. The dogs were rolling in the yard. Pepe scurried uner the beds and through the laundry room unknownst to my friend until he scurried past her husband in the bathroom who was trying to shave. His nose twitched and he belatedly recognized the furry black and white tail just as it disappeared behind the couch....

Have you ever tried to herd Pepe Le Peu?

Needless to say, her house and yard are a disaster area, not to mention the dogs. Won't be visiting for doggy play park any time soon.
A

Re: Lab Laughter

Thanks Sharlene!! That was great reminds me of some stories to tell, but I won't!!!LOL! Becuase in one story the poor baby bird was eaten, so the other dogs couldn't get it! That pack mentality can be so cruel!!!Of course when it came back up no one wanted it then!!

Re: Re: Lab Laughter

Just be glad it wasn't a CICADA that came back up, still buzzing and flapping. An hour later.

Have had that happen before. Yick.