Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Co-ownership of a male/Registering a litter

Just one question in this category - when a male is used as a stud and it comes time to verify that it is your stud that was used in registering the litter, do both co-owners have to sign off or can just one? I know that for b**** that one co-owner can register the litter (but she/he needs to have the agreement of the other co-owner(s)). Want to know what the protocol is for co-owned males. TIA

Re: Co-ownership of a male/Registering a litter

It only takes one owner to sign the paperwork.

Yep - only one of the co-owners of the stud has to sign off on litter registrations. Sexist, isn't it?

I copied this straight from the AKC's website.

The application must be signed by all of the owners and co-owners of the dam and by ONE owner of the sire.

Thanks for the information.

With CKC it's different. I bred my CKC registered bitch to an AKC registered stud, who is co-owned and in order to register the litter, I NEEDED both signatures.

I also co-own a stud dog (CKC reg.) and we both have to sign when registrating a litter.

Re: Re: Forging of Stud's Co-Owner's Signature, Penalty?

What would be the penalty if someone signed off on the stud's portion of a litter registration who was not actually a co-owner of the male? Would the litter's AKC registration be suspended? fines? would this person loose their AKC privilages?

They would have to be found out, either via complaint or whatever. If it is, and it's found to be true, then they would probably get fined and suspended. (In other words, Lose their Privileges.) I don't know what would happen to the litter. It would depend on the circumstances.

For all of this kind of information, it's very revealing to read the AKC Secretary's page: http://www.akc.org/about/secretarys_page.cfm