Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Odor

What are you doing to combat the dog yard odor? I've limed the yards, used bleach water, used the dish soap/mouthwash/ammonia recipe, use PDZ/Stall Dry and NOTHING seems to help with the dog urine odor. Does anyone have any other remedies or solutions to the problem?

Re: Odor

If you have males are you applying to the vertical areas they lift their legs on? Fence posts, tree trunks, walls, bushes etc. Odo-Ban works really well too.

http://catiators.ocicat.com/odobanwarning.htm

Re: Re: Odor

Have one male and several girls. I do treat all areas that are soiled on.

A few weeks ago I spread cypress mulch on my yard.
It was recommended by someone on this forum.
The garden shop said that it is one of the few mulches that does not have added color and preservatives.
(Make sure it does not say Red Cypress as that does have color.)
I have noticed a marked difference in the odor.
It really seems to absorb the odor.
I refresh it by spraying with water daily and top dressing with new mulch weekly.
Do be careful though with puppies and older dogs that like to munch on wood pieces. Some of mine tried it and then spit it out. But just be watchful. Good Luck!

Re: Re: Odor

You have to make sure you remove all the old hair as it will hold the odor's for a long time. We also put carpet fresh, fresh linen around the outside of the kennels, works great. We have used this for three years with no problems.

There is this cleaner at the Dollar Store called Fabuloso, the purple one..it's 3 bux, put it in a hand or garden sprayer...spells SO GOOD, you can spray on your yard too, there is also a sprayer at Wal Mart in the auto section, you add it to your water hose and it has a dial on it for soap and one for fresh water, used for cars, I use it for EVERYTHING from bathing the dogs to scrubbing the outside porch, lawn whatever. They aren't very expensive either, under 10 dollars if I remember correctly. I LOVE it for bathing the dogs, I just tie them up, spray on the soap, massage, change the dial and rinse, I can bath almost all day with one fill of soap and no handling bottles. Try it, you'll like it.

Re: Re: Re: Odor

Rocal-D is a multi antibacterial killer.
Used regularly you will have no bad smells.