Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eating at lightning speed

Just wanted to see what others do who have dogs that scarf down their food so fast that they don't even chew? I took a small lawnmower tire and put it in the food bowls so they would have to move it around to get the food. Well, they picked it up, put it off to the side, and swallowed their food whole. Any helpful hints?

Re: Eating at lightning speed

Never had a problem with an adult, but for puppies that inhale their food, I feed in a 8" round cake baking pan. On one occasion it didn't work with a 16 week old puppy who I was switching to adult kibble (larger kibble pieces) at the time, so I switched that pup to a comparable brand food which was a smaller kibble, and that solved the problem.

Re: Re: Eating at lightning speed

I call feeding the labs at my house "Slopping the Dogs". They eat at lightening speed. I have several big rocks that I have found over the years that actually look like baking potatoes. I drop one of those in the feed dish so the labs have to eat around it. So far it has seemed to work. For those that it doesn't, I take the bowl and dump it out on the dog room floor so that the dog has to pick it up piece by piece. That breaks some of them of eating like their food is going to run away from them.

Re: Re: Re: Eating at lightning speed

Using the large rocks is a good idea. My friend does that with her dog. There is also a dog food dish on the market that has a raised center in it to simulate rocks.
My boy loves to play with big rocks. He would knock the dish all over the place with his foot if I put a rock in it. Thank goodness he takes his time eating. Really savors those kibbles! One would think he would get bored with it!

I think this was a genius idea. I just don't like that it is not stainless. I heard from a friend who runs a pet store that they spoke to the company at market and they may look into a stainless style.

bowl

Sometimes I'll just make kibble soup, so that they have to drink and eat at the same time. Another thing I've done is put part of their ration in a big kong. You could probably put all of their meal in a couple of kongs that that surely would slow things down.

Ice cubes work well, also.

My canine kids eat with lightning speed, but I never thought it was a problem.

This post brought back an old memory. The yellow Lab my parents got when I was 5 years old ate with lightning speed. He did get some leftovers, but he always left the peas. For several months, my twin brother and I conducted an experiment. We added a set number of peas to his food. As always, the dog eat his food in just seconds. And the same number of peas remained in the dish! Harry and I were about 8 years old at the time. We were so impressed with our dog and his abilities!

I saw the bowls at Potomac, and could kick myself because I did not buy them. However, I didn't buy them because they were plastic, and I figured it may be too easy to tear them up. We have used large rocks before with the horses, but unfortunatelyI have not been able to find any large ones. Thanks for the link to the bowls. I think I will give them a try.

I like that bowl too! I agree stainless would be better. I have a feeling that my dogs would grab the spikes in the bowl and play with it!!

I had a boy who would eat like that and we made a square form that was
pretty big in size and put a rubber mat on the bottom (with ridges) and his food was
spread out just enough that he had to work for it. It worked! This boy when
he ate would eat so fast that he would throw it right back up, so I was happy
to see that this worked. We did this because we were using the floor but he spread
it out so far it got to be rediculous!

Re: Re: Re: Eating at lightning speed

I had that once. I just put water in it to almost the food floating. That worked better the the 1/2 brick.He doesn't do it anymore.

I looked for an article I read online about a year ago.. Sorry, I didn't save it

I measure food in the dish and add water. It took about a mth but, they eat at a normal pace now. They actually, look up and enjoy.

No more piggies here

Ditto on the bowl, it looks great except I only use stainless. I would definitely purchase it for 3 of my girls that eat way too fast if it was stainless. Will watch for a possible addition to their line and try adding some "items" to slow them down.

My other 3 are much slower eaters and fine dine taking their time doing so.

I also find separating the faster eaters from each other at meal time can be helpful as they don't feel they're in competition with anyone.

Good luck to all with some of our chow hounds lol.

Did you look at the video for the bowl? 45 seconds??? My "snarfer and barfer" can eat, barf and re-eat in 45 seconds : )

I posted the same problem about her a few months back and floating the food suggestion has worked for her...I just add some water and it keeps her from barfing it right up after she eats.

My guys play with their stainless bowls--a plastic one would never survive.

MK

Eating at lightning speed

I do both the water and the rocks and they still eat fast. I has certainly helped to slow them down but scarfing is what a labrador does.
I too like the bowl but my guys were toss that baby till it broke.