Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
underground fence

I have a puppy buyer who wants to use an underground fence to contain his puppy. I've talked to him about the problems--mainly that it may keep his dog in but won't keep other dogs or coyotes out. He has used one in the past and wants to use it again, but doesn't know when to start training the puppy to recognize the boundary (previous dog was an adult when the fence was installed). I don't have any idea. Does anyone out there in forum-land know at what age pups can be trained for the fence without traumatizing them?

Re: underground fence

I have a neighbor that just had an electric fence installed. The older dog is always visiting everyone else in the neighborhood and the new beagle puppy - well let's just say it's cruel to him him scream everytime he hits the electric fence while trying to follow the older dog. I guess by now the older dog can withstand the zap, the puppy is another story. Try and talk your puppy person out of it - it's not everything they say it is and it's not a pleasant sensation for a puppy.

You need to work with the professionals when you do this. The do-it-yourself versions are only cheap ways to get your dog killed. I have had Invisible Fence since 1996. The company stands behind their product, they come out right away if there's a problem, they will do the training, etc. They have state of the art collars that have almost unlimited programming options - delays, strength, timing of the audible signal, etc. They come out and work with you one on one to figure out what's the best custom option for your dog. In addition, the field of signal from the wire can be adjusted - for example, if you get a lot of snow in the winter you can increase the field.

There are pros and cons to every type of fencing. Dogs can dig out of traditional fence, gates can be left open. Other animals can come into your yard, but most of the nuisance ones can do so even with a traditional fence. If you have a lot of stray dogs, bear, or other large animals in your area, Invisible Fence might not be the right option for you.

But I can't stress enough - DON'T do it yourself. If you use a reputable company like Invisible Fence, I think you will find much more consistent results.

My future plan is to have a combination of IF and traditional fence. Best of both worlds.

Sorry to disagree with you Nancy, but I have used the"do it yourself" style for years without a proablem. The thing most people don't understand, is it is very important to train them properly. Follow the instructions to a T. And if you don't know how or don't want to do the training, then yes it is better to go with the Perfessionals. I have also stressed that it is not for all breeds or situations. I have spoke to a person who had an unnueter male(golden), and woundered why it didn't work......! As to what age, it depends on the puppy. I had a sibmissive b*tch, I wait till she was older to start training. (6 months or so I think) She got over the fence once and promptly sat down and waited for me to come and get her The owners can contact the company that produces their brand of fence for an age guidline. Good luck

There is no mystery to using an invisible fence system,it all comes down to training. They are very effective and safe if trained correctly.

Have the fence installed by pet safe or invisible fence brand proffessionals.Get on their battery plan and it is effective and safe.

Common sense: Do not leave he dog out on the fence why you are not home!

Start training at 6 months.If someone has got the idea that they want to use this method of containing their pup/dog on their property. Wild horses are not going to change their minds.They tell ya yeah, yeah, yeah and do what they want anyways. Not for all dogs, proper training a must, and not intended to leave Fido in it while you are not out there. Which covers wild animals or other dogs wandering in that you can watch out for cause you are out there with your pup/dog.

I have Invisible Fence and I train my pups around 5-6 months.

They do have a special start up training for pups as young as 8 weeks (don't know anything about it) but IMO that is too young.

According to the company that installed the fence at my old house the recommendation is to start training around 6 months.

IFC Brand states to wait until six months prior to start on their system. Invisible Fence brand is the way to go, they are also called Pet Safe here in the NorthEast.I would recomend not purchasing a system that has a chargeable collar,I would spend the extra money if you can afford it and stay with the folks who invented this type of fencing.

They have a battery plan that you can sign up for yearly and this way avoid having to remember to purchase batteries. There are also companies out there that have collars that you can put on a cradle like a cell phone to charge but it is a hassle. A good battery plan and collar system takes the guess work out of it and keeps your crew safe.

Training: I would strongly recomend over training on this type of system, by that I only mean to train for maybe an extra week or two longer than what is recomemded by any of the companies. Distraction training is by far the most important training and should tested strongly. Do the best you can to set up real scenerios while completing the distraction training.

Personally when I have completed this training my crew will not walk off of the property!! This can be a hassle if I just want to take one of them for a walk around the neighborhood (having to put in the truck and drive off property)but to me it's better than sending mixed signals while training. I live in an area with a heavy deer population that is also very wooded and my crew will not cross line to push deer.

I would never leave the dogs out on this type of system if I was not home,not even to just run a quick errand.You cannot stop another dog entering your property which is the down side to this type of fencing. You may also want to think about a run , and if I were doing that as well I would recomend Mason in Ohio.

Good Luck