Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
urine in older dog

I have a dog that will be 14 Aug 26. She now can't control her bladder. When she wakes up there is a puddle there. Her tail and private area has urine all over it. Is there a pill that will help this? Or is this going into something else and her days are numbered? I am worried about her. The weather has been nice and cool. So I have been able to have her outside during the day. This started a couple of day ago. Any help would be great?

Re: urine in older dog

I had a girl who lived to be 2 months shy of 15 and she started incontenence around 13 years old. Doc put her on Proin... think it was 2 pills twice a day to start off, then 1 pill daily. The Proin did help her, no more incontenence.

Re: Re: urine in older dog

I would have a urinalysis run to rule out a UTI. Her incontinence can also be due to loss of sphincter tone. It is posible for her to have a bladder infection as well as loss of tone. Proin (Phenypropanolamine) works very well to help restore sphincter tone. Another thought is that many geriatric dogs have difficulty getting up to go out to potty. So by the time they REALLY have to go they will often urinate while trying to get to their feet. Contact your Veterinarian for proper instruction and diagnosis. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: urine in older dog

Her kidneys could also be failing. I would get a diagnosis so you know how to support her.

I have a near 11yr old male who has problems. In his case his urine was like water (no color) and the urinalysis was way off. He is on Desmopressin which is used for bed-wetting children. He gets his dosage twice daily. The MAJOR drawback is it is EXPENSIVE. It costs $55 per week and there is no generic available.

Proin(Phenylpropomaramine) works very well in
older dogs with this problem. Not much else
you can do at their age.

Re: Re: urine in older dog

I would get her in to see your vet as soon as possible. You could be looking at any number of disease processes that are not related to old age, ie; addison's, diabetes mellitus, cushings, etc...

Has anyone tried this? http://homeopet.com/leaksnomore.htm

I used Proin also with one of my old girls and it worked well. I would have tried this but didn't find out about it until after she had passed.

I agree with others on first doing a urinalysis and running a complete blood panel to check kidneys, etc.

someone mentioned Addisons: Elevated potassium is one possible sign of this. And if you suspect this disease please have your dog tested immediately because if she has it and she comes under any stress it can cause her to go into Addisonian Crisis which can be fatal. My b-tch tested negative so therefore I know nothing about the treatment for Addisons.

Proin has worked for us if it is an incontinence issue which I hope is the case as it is easily managed and should not effect her life.