Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

Hi - time to begin a worming schedule for my pups. I've always used Evict DS as directed on the bottle, and Evict is available all over including Petsmart.

What product do you use, what schedule do you follow, and where do you get it?

Re: Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

Fenbendazole 1ml. per 4 lb.@6 weeks. Buy it from Lambriar Its made by Safeguard.

I also use 10% liquid Fenbendazole (Safeguard), but per the manufacturer's recommendations for puppies - 0.5 ml/kg (2.2 lb) x 3 days. This is given at 2 weeks, 5 weeks, and 8 weeks before they go home.

I've bought it different places - KV Vet, UPCO, etc.. - 1 L bottle for about $110 or so.

I used to use Evict and found that it did not work, the hard way!
Now I use a pyrantel for humans purchased at Revival.
Never had another report of worms since!

Re: Re: Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

Pyrantel is also available over the counter at drug stores(WalMart). It's called PinX, and is for humans.. If they don't have it, they will order it. I was told this by Revival. It works.

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

How much do you give the pups?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

For the Pyrantel or PinX I use 1/0 cc per pound, ie 5 pound pup 1/2 cc. I've been using it for probably 30 years with no problem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Puppy Dewormer and Schedule

I ALSO USE PYRANTEL. THERE ARE DIFFERENT STRENGTHS.
MINE, BOUGHT THROUGH MY REPRO VET, IS 1CC PER TWO #'S.
I GIVE IT A 2, 4, 6 WEEKS. I ALSO DO MY BITCH AT THE SAME INTERVALS. I'VE USED OTHER PRODUCTS OVER THE YEARS, I LIKE THIS BEST. MY PUPS ALWAYS HAD A ROUGH EXPERIENCE WITH PANACUR, SO I DON'T USE IT ANYMORE ON YOUNG PUPPIES.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS MAKING SURE YOU GET IN 2-3 WORMINGS BEORE THE SEVEN WEEKS.