Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What number of boosteres do you prefer for pups?

I have done a total of 4 in the past, but my vet says research shows that the odds are so very low that its a waste for that 4th booster. What is everyone doing these days?

Re: What number of boosteres do you prefer for pups?

3@6,10,14 weeks

I do a total of 3 distemper/parvo combos. 7, 11, and 15 weeks. I usually wait a week or two after the 3rd and do the rabies separate at 16 or 17 weeks.

I like to wait as long as possible on that 1st one but don't want pups getting shots a day or two before going home. They need a little time but 4 days is plenty I find. I do them every 4 weeks after the first one.

I do 6, 8, 11, 14, and 20 weeks. I think the last one at 20 weeks is prolly the most important.

Re: Re: What number of boosteres do you prefer for pups?

I also do 4 shots with the last one around 20 wks. I remember reading somewhere that the dam's protection she gives her puppies from nursing starts wearing off when the pups are 10 weeks old. There is always a window of opportunity for Parvo to sneak in there so I always tell the familys to stick to the 4 vaccination schedule, given every 3 weeks and rabies to be done separately, post the last vaccination at 20 weeks.

I do 7, 11, and 15 weeks also. The vaccine manufacturer labeling (Pfizer for the one I use) recommends 3 vaccines, 3-4 weeks apart, starting at 6-8 weeks. This labeling seems to be consistent with current recommendations by AVMA, etc.

JMO.

I follow the Jean Dodds protocol and have for many years. I worked as a vet tech for many years in the days when we told people that you could never OVER VACCINATE. Well, now we know different. I give the least amount of vaccines that is safe. I give the first one (distemper/parvo combo) at 9-10 weeks, a few days before the puppy goes to its new home. You don't want to stress it after a vaccine. Then, the pups I keep gets a second one at 14 weeks then the last at 16-18 weeks. I may give a booster at around 15 months of age. I never give the rabies at the same time as anything else and I give that around 6-8 months of age. This schedule has worked for my over the last few years.

CANINE VACCINATION PROTOCOL – 2005

MINIMAL VACCINE USE

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
HEMOPET
938 Stanford Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403
310-828-4804; Fax 310-828-8251
e-mail: hemopet@hotmail.com

Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

Age of Pups Vaccine Type

9 - 10 weeks Dist/Parvo (Modified Live Virus

14 weeks " "

16 -18 weeks (optional) " "

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law (Rabies)

1 year Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet
Progard Puppy DPV)

Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus annually thereafter. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. .

We do 8,12 16 weeks for DHPP, and one at 16 weeks for rabies, if they want Lyme, 2 vac 3-4 weeks apart

barb

8, 12, 16 and rabies at 20 weeks.

Pups stay with me after 8 week shot for a few days before going home.

yep we are the same as barb 8 12 16 wks.

it depends on the vaccine you choose to use----not all vaccines are created equal!!!

"it depends on the vaccine you choose to use----not all vaccines are created equal!!! "

I'm so glad you pointed that out, Kathy!

We use Intervet Proguard at 6 and 12 weeks and then titer to see if any further vaccines are needed. So far they've all had a response after the 12 week vaccine, but I have known puppies who didn't sero-convert until 6 months or older.