Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cerf on OFA

I have been checking a few dogs out on OFA.
If it doesn't mention Cerf,Does that mean the breeder opted to not add the cerf to OFA.?And why is that.?
Many of the dogs I am looking at it doesn't include the cerf. So I can see if they have been checked.And what was found.

I noticed that some of the dogs have a final conclusion.? But yet the dog Has a CHIC# with a problem in the final conclusion. I have several dogs who are rated CHIC.Because all there testing has been done and sent in. But I didn't think you could have a problem and be a CHIC?

Re: Cerf on OFA

Most of your questions can be answered on the OFA site at www.offa.org
The CHIC system is an open database which will reflect abnormal as well as normal results.
"The CHIC number itself does not imply normal test results, only that all the required breed specific tests were performed and the results made publicly available."

Re: Re: Cerf on OFA

I never bothered to send the CERF exams in for a certificate until there was an on-line database. So, if you look at my dogs, it looks like my 12-yr old only had one eye exam at 9 years old, when in fact, that was her final exam (doc says she doesn't need exams any more).

So, you could have the CERF form from the eye doc, but not pay the fee to get into the database.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Cerf on OFA

Alot of breeders just don't send them in. I sure do on all my breeding dogs, but not on young ones maybe and not on the others. It is a clearance for us to have on our dogs. If we want to send them we can. Some just copy the clearance from the eye Dr. and never send it in for a litter. Makes it hard when you are doing research and trying to learn more about a pedigree. But if you think about it alot is not on OFA anyway. Most don't report all the hips and elbows that don't pass. We miss some of our history anyway.