Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cephalexin and Fish Flex

I was told bya vet that these were the same thing. I can get Fish Flex from a farm store without a prescription and it does say cephalexin on it but because it is labeled for fish it can be sold that way. I do not like to use medications a lot but some times this is necessary with hot spots. HAs anyone had any experience with fish flex and is it ok to use like cephalexin?
TIA

Re: Cephalexin and Fish Flex

Fishflex is 250mg Cephalexin. Labradors are typically prescribed a capsule that is 500mg and the quantity depends on the size of dog and ailment treated (hence why you should see a vet for prescribing). Adjust accordingly.

Re: Re: Cephalexin and Fish Flex

My vet gave me a prescription for cephalexin. I got a bottle of 100 caps & it is much cheaper than fish flex.

My vet has always given me Clavamox for skin type infections such as hot spots in my one dog's case. I had another vet tell me that he perfers Clavomox over Cephalexin when it comes to skin sores and infections.

Fish Flex does come in 500 mg as well

I use fish flex all of the time for hot spots and it works great. My vet also recommends cephalexin for most sin problems.

Re: Re: Re: Cephalexin and Fish Flex

Same here.........We have it for years but as someone else mentioned it is just as inexpensive through our vet but I do like to keep a bottle on hand just in case.

I wanted to say that I have just discovered that the purple ear cleaner made from Gentian Violet is amazing on Hotspots!! It will turn the coat purple, but it was well worth it. I was reluctant to try it, but I had a doozy of a Hotspot on a male I was going to have semen stored on. So I did not want to give him anything at all that would effect semen. I shaved the area, used Listerine, Goldbonds powder, peroxide, and Neosporin with no luck at all. This Hotspot was speading and I was sweating it, so I grabbed my Purple ear cleaner. I remember reading it was good for Hotspots, and Wow, it killed the Hotspot right away and formed a scab in one day. I cannot say enough about this stuff. Yet another thing it is good at. His Hotspot is long gone, and if I see a hint of one coming, I will not have to shave hair again! It looks funny on the yellow coat, but It washed off pretty descent when I groomed him afterwards. Just wanted to share my experience.