Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help! never seen this before.............

Vet doesn't even know.............labbie has dime size bloody oozing sores on him.....vet put him on cephalexin..2x dailey for 20 days.............this started on his head with a bump??????????????

Re: Help! never seen this before.............

How many sores, and where are they located?

Re: Re: Help! never seen this before.............

sounds like hot spots...clavamox will do better as well as topical peroxide.

Daughters boyfriends dog...I've been told that they are on his head (top) around his ears and neck.

Re: Re: Re: Help! never seen this before.............

Wouldn't you think that a vet would know what a hot spot looked like??????

again, hot spots....
and no, not all vets know them since they are a "Labrador" thing....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! never seen this before.............

Sounds like hot spots to me also. Get him on
Antiobiotics and flea control. Most labradors
are severly allergic to fleas:(

How old is he? Did he get shots lately or anything... maybe its a mite like demodex, that came out with stress. Just a thought, but I am FAR from a pro Did they do a skin scrape/biopsy?

Is this dog kept outside? Sounds like the flies have been at him

...or a staph infection.

Could this be a dermatitus from bug bites?

Inside dog.

I had a black bitch once who broke out in these sores mainly on her face, ears and head but also some on her elbows. She had terrible oozing sores on the bridge of her nose (muzzle) especially. The vet said it was furunculosis (??) - like a deep seated folliculitis. The treatment was long term antibiotics.She did get over it successfully and we never knew what really caused it .. we did think that she may have contracted it swimming in a dirty creek perhaps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! never seen this before.............

What about "rain rot"? I don't remember the scientific name. One of my girls had it last summer. It started on the back on her head and migrated down her back. It was treated with cefelexin and I had to scub her wounds with lime sulfur twice a week for 3 weeks. It's common in horses and cattle. The vet thinks it was caused by playing in the hose, being constantly wet and flies. They were bad at the time.

She got over it quickly, with treatment. She is a house dog also.

Sorry. I have to disagree with you here. As a vet, I see hot spots often and certainly not just in labradors. It may just be because I'm in the hot, humid south, but I've seen hot spots in just about every breed. Any vet that's been practicing any time at all should know what a hot spot is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! never seen this before.............

If the dog is inside all the time, this probably is not your answer, but..... I had dogs have similar lesions from something in wet hay. It was so long ago I don't recall the name, but if hay gets and stays wet, the dogs pick up this thing from it. The first sign is a bump. The bump is followed by an oozing red sore.

Jamie, you'd be suprised. I had a puppy customer tell me their regular vet had no clue what the hot spots on their 9 month old Lab were.
They took him to another vet and behold! Hot spots...
Not all vets are good, some downright stink...

I would agree with hot spots. Yes they can grow all over the body and it will travel around the ears, neck and under the jaw. This can happen in a week.My girl had them so bad, she ended up on celphexin and steroid to stop the itching. Keep it clean with scrubing it with betitine/SP/. The scrubing motion keep it open and drained.When it stop oozing and starts to get crusty you know they are healing.This is when it starts to get itcy.I then put the zinc oxide on the hot spot and pretty heavy. This heals the skin very fast and keep the crusty off and help with the itching too. Main thing is to keep it clean and dry.You need to care for every time it gets to look ugly/painful looking. Could be upto five or six times a day.I do not shave the spot if it is controled area. I just pull the dead hair out around it.This way it gets air.If you catch it early enough Listerine directly on the spot and Bonds foot powder usually does the trick.You know it has healed when it looks grey and no pick or red in the treated area.

I know (personally--she was the roommate for 3 years of my best friend) of a liscensed vet who, in her second year of vet school, neither knew what fleas looked like, nor what to do about them.

I don't doubt that there are vets out there who haven't a clue what hotspots are.