Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ears

I have had a ton of dog expenses in the last 6 months so am hesitant to rack up another vet bill. Since I have my own dog pharmacy here that I've collected over the last few years, what antibiotic do you generally use for a red, inflammed ear? (only one side)

Re: ears

If it's just inflamed, I would not give any antibiotics. I'd make sure the ear is clean (if it is, don't clean it again), make sure it's dry (swab out with a cotton ball if needed) and put some gold bond powder in there. That stuff works wonders for me. I use the gold colored bottle.

If this is or becomes a recurring thing, feel free to email me privately for my own ear cleaning regimen. Haven't had an ear infection here in years by taking care of ears the way I do.

Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

Antibiotics won't help if it's a yeast infection. Only way to be sure is to have it tested.
Kathy

Re: Re: ears

If its only one ear, then i would consider a food sensetivity. Take a look at everything you feed, that means any treat too, and then feed something the dog has never had before to see if it goes away. That would be the inexpensive way to possibly find the answer. If it is a food issue it will take about a month to see any changes.

I usually try to clean it up and sometimes just doing that (with Oti-Clean) will clear it up. Does it smell?

There is a new product that I was given in the past year. It's Conofite. Works well. Not on pregnant bitches.

Re: Re: ears

I would treat with Monistat (yes, the human yeast infection cream) twice daily for one week.

Re: Re: Re: ears

When mine show signs of a red bothersome ear, I usually do a cleaning of a rinse made of witch hazel, boric acid and tea tree oil. In the last 2 instances, it cleared up the problem in just one rinse.

I would rinse and clean the ear for a day or so before I thought about any other treatment.

If you have this checked and it turns out to be yeast and it is reaccuring you can give 1 tbspn apple cider vinigar in food daily (add water to the meal) to help ward off yeast in the future.

I too use the witch hazel/boric acid solution but I add gentian violet. (If its not a problem needing antibiotics) Once the ear has cleared up you just put an eyedropper full in the bad ear every few weeks to help keep it clean. My dogs also had constant ear problems till I changed foods.

What is the recipe for the witch hazel/boric acid solution? Thanks.

This stuff is amazing!!!

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution (will stain)

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application). Put in a bottle for ease of application. I use a Sally's bottle for hair dye.

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks or until the ears are clean of infection.
1 time per week, then once a month thereafter for maintenance.

If your dog has been swimming, playing in water, bathed etc. To prevent infections treat the ears afterwards.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol, or ask for assistance from the Pharmacy. The Gentian Violet will be in a small bottle maybe near the iodine.

Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the dog including hot spots.

Avoid getting in eyes.