Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Hi All
We just received a phone call from the Yuva (sp!) County Animal shelter (about 40 miles north of UC Davis) regarding a Labrador Retriever that was turned in to them. He is six years old and was tracked back to us through his microchip. His owner turned him in and told them "he didn't want him anymore".

We told the shelter to please keep "Omar" safe until we could make arrangements to get him. We have talked to a transport company who quoted almost $600 to take him to the airport in San Francisco. The problem with putting him on a plane in the next 10 days is that it is way over the 85 degree temperature embargo the airlines impose.

Is there anyone in this area or does anyone know of someone that if necessary could get this boy and keep him until we can make arrangements to get him home.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tom and Gail

Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

where is this shelter???

Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Near San Francisco, CA according to what Gail wrote.

Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Could it be Yuba City, near Sacramento? Isn't there a Yuba City there?

Poor guy -

Re: Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Oh how sad....sorry I can't help, all the way on the east coast here...maybe do a search for other breeders in CA and see who might be willing to spring him??

Wow I'm glad you were contacted about your boy and have the chance to get him back!

I am not sure what airlines fly out of San Francisco, but Continental will fly regardless of weather with their "Quick Pak" service.

You may also want to contact members of the Golden Gate and/or San Joaquin Labrador Retriever Clubs to see if any of their members may be able to help you out.

I had a Chinese Crested rescue come from Davis and I was able to have a few non Labrador folks bring him down in legs until he was close enough for me to get him in King City (2 hours from me). I simply posted on the Showdog L and had a lot of nice people wanting to help him out.

I'd love to get him for you, but unfortunately that is about a 8 hours drive for me each way. I am sure there are some other Labrador folks that are much closer that can help you out. I just wanted to give some suggestions for you to try.

Best of luck bringing Omar home!

Dianne

Hello,

I live in Washington State just 59 miles north of the Oregon border. Maybe a few of us can form a train? to try to get him up here..or maybe you could check with the airlines about shipping from San Fran to Portland Oregon. (Often times it isnt inexpensive, but I have never flown an adult with them) Weather out here is still very mild. I hope something can happen for him.
Lemme know if I can help.

Tina and "kids"
Email: tina@rockcreeklabs.com

Sounds like the Yuba County shelter. Please contact CCLRR http://www.cc-labrescue.org/top_dog.html to see if they can help. I know there is a rescue person who lives quite close to that shelter and could probably spring him for you, and perhaps foster until you can get him back. Good luck!

you may try the acme pet transport website (I think it is www.acmepettransport.com )

I have had some luck with them in the past.