Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Hi All
We just received a phone call from the Yuva (sp!) County Animal shelter (about 40 miles north of UC Davis) regarding a Labrador Retriever that was turned in to them. He is six years old and was tracked back to us through his microchip. His owner turned him in and told them "he didn't want him anymore".

We told the shelter to please keep "Omar" safe until we could make arrangements to get him. We have talked to a transport company who quoted almost $600 to take him to the airport in San Francisco. The problem with putting him on a plane in the next 10 days is that it is way over the 85 degree temperature embargo the airlines impose.

Is there anyone in this area or does anyone know of someone that if necessary could get this boy and keep him until we can make arrangements to get him home.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. We just don't want time to run out for this sweet boy before we can get him home.

Tom and Gail

Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Hello,

I live in Washington State just 59 miles north of the Oregon border. Maybe a few of us can form a train? to try to get him up here..or maybe you could check with the airlines about shipping from San Fran to Portland Oregon. (Often times it isnt inexpensive, but I have never flown an adult with them) Weather out here is still very mild. I hope something can happen for him.
Lemme know if I can help.

Tina and "kids"

Maybe this Labrador could take a "Red Eye" flight to your region when the temps are down lower. It seems like it would be less stressful if he only had to get on that plane one time, direct flight to your city/region. Poor dog. Who dumps off pure bred Labradors at the local shelters after 6 years ow ownership...stupid, unempathetic dog owners. In this day and age haven't people heard of pure bred rescue or calling the breeder up to see if they can take the dog back ? I guess it must be alot easier to pop the ol dog in the car and mozy on down to the shelter when you get bored or owning a dog or can no longer keep it.

"Who dumps off pure bred Labradors at the local shelters after 6 years ow ownership...stupid, unempathetic dog owners. In this day and age haven't people heard of pure bred rescue or calling the breeder up to see if they can take the dog back ? I guess it must be alot easier to pop the ol dog in the car and mozy on down to the shelter when you get bored or owning a dog or can no longer keep it. "

Sadly this is the mentality of many pet owners in our country and that is why we have as some would say a pet overpopulation problem. Spaying and neutering all animals will not change this type of mentality. Chances are this dog is probably already neutered. However, it is those people whether the dog is purebred or mixed that get a cute puppy and later when the dog in no longer a convenience, it gets dumped at the shelter. Fortunately there are good shelter workers who understand that reputable breeders want their dogs back and these workers were kind enough to contact the Shearers so that they can get him back. Some shelter workers aren't so inclined to help breeders or even rescues get their dogs back on OTIs. I rescued a Shiba Inu once that was just days away from being euthanized. I knew there'd be a rescue that would take her, but imagine my surprise when I pulled this dog and got the owner's information that they received from the rescue they got her from. I quickly contacted the rescue to let them know I had the dog and boy were they relieved that I had this dog! They lost contact with the owners and were trying to locate them.

I have in my contract that the dog comes back to me and recently I had a family contact me that had one of my pups from the last litter. A year later they were going through a divorce and neither wanted the dog so they contacted me about placing her. I made arrangements to take the dog back asap. The family lived in Southern California and brought the dog back to me. She's a great girl just awaiting another home now. I am just glad the owners didn't just dump her in a shelter!

Dianne

Hi Tom and Gail
I was very near there last night at our SVLRC board meeting. I will make a few calls for you and see if we can get him out.
Christine

Hi Tom & Gail,

I live in Yuba County East of Marysville and just called our local animal control and ask about a Lab named "Omar". After some lengthy search, the clerk could not find any such Lab. Could youi please email me privately and give me the phone No. you called so that I may follow up. There is also a Yolo County that is close to us which may be where the boy is at. Regards,
Al

Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

From what I heard from rescue (who had a foster home lined up ready to go), another breeder is doing something about pulling him from the shelter.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Omar is safe and out of jail. He's been check out by my Vet and is in good health. He's had a very longgggg bath and dinner and is resting comfortably. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers.

THANKS !!!

Thanks to Al and Christine and all who helped make this 'rescue' possible! You are saints!

gcb

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

That is so great. Happy ending!!!!

Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Lots of people dump off or leave their pets as if they never had a connection with them...perhaps they didn't? It happens all the time. Case in point. Big time farmer on the corner down my street just moved this week. Guess what? I found out from another neighbor that the farmer (well to do) put his 9 year old doberman in the sales contract with his house! Yep, this week the new people moved in and there was the dog on the front porch. I'll be watching to see if he's still around in a few weeks. I wish our lab club be be of help in Tom's case, but we are on the east coast. Good luck with this boy and hope you get him back.

I am so glad to hear it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Male Labrador in County Shelter - Need help!

Tom & Gail are at Pittsburgh showing so they can't write in themselves but asked that I send out a HUGE thank you to Al Knox and Christine Tye for their assistance in the release of Omar!