Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Food Analysis

Check out what you are feeding.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

You can use the search to find your particular brand or else view by ratings.

Reading the reviews enlightened me about beet pulp, ethoxyquin etc.

Re: Dog Food Analysis

I've been using this site for the last 18 months.

What I like about it is that it gives a fairly thorough analysis of the products that are in a particular dog food.

It may open the eyes of some to find out exactly what some of the ingredients in the "popular" dog foods actually are and how they may not be good for your guy or gal.

I would strongly recommend a visit to this informative site.

Rich R.,
Did you come to any conclusions or find a food that works for you? I'm still looking, it's difficult.

Re: Re: Dog Food Analysis

Noname,

Actually, I did. The site was extremely helpful because it educated me about reading dog food labels with its analysis of every dog food (I think that it looked at over 600). I stay clear of the lower three groups (which, as you know, basically encompasses everything that is found in supermarkets and large pet stores). I try to pick from groups 4 and 5.

I got my girl at 13 months from a breeder. She was being fed California Natural Chicken and Rice for puppies. I kept her on that until 18 months and then switched to the Adult formula, same brand. I know several people that have used Canidae All Stages and tried that for several months. It is an excellent food but found my girl itching and getting bad ears. Switched back to CAl Nat for about 6 months. Now, I have two medium sized bags of Innova Adult that I am about to start. I really like the ingredients. My breeder is currently feeding that to her 4 and is having very nice results with coats. My vet also feeds the Senior Innova to her dog, and the vet did her own independent analysis.

The California Natural produces very small stools which is a definite bonus. My girl is currently 2 1/2 and her coat looks the nicest it ever has (she doesn't have the typical lab dense coat). She is small and I'm keeping her at about 58 pounds. I've come around to the belief that it is benefical for the dog to switch foods every so often so that they get the benefit of different ingredients and formulations. Like humans, I believe that a variety in their diets works best.

But as you know, all dogs are different. The premium brands are more expensive but my girl is getting a bit less than 2 cups a day so it lasts longer than brands requiring 3-4 cups a day. It's like that old Fram oil filter commercial where the mechanic has a car up on a lift, a car where the oil hasn't been regularly changed. He simply looks at the camera and says, "you can pay me now, or pay me later." I think the same applies to investing in premium food and trying to have a healthier lab (translated: less vet expenses) down the line.

Hope this helps.

Rich R. your response does help. I tried Canidae for a week and I have to return it because of new skin problems. I was thinking I would try California Natural L&R the next go round and I appreciated your comments.

Good Luck to you and thanks.

I'm not picking a part there info, but I would like to mention that some of the nondiegestable material, is there on purpose to provide bulk for firm stools and make the dog fill full without adding more calories. Also I think it is unfair to the "Perscription Vet" diets. I know a lot of animal that would have died without these diets. They are made the way they are for a reason. Foods that disolve stones, or low protien kidney diets. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.