Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fat puppys and egg crate

Never had to use the egg crate foam. Do you just put it in the bottom of whelping box and still cover with towels or sheet. Lighter weight towels ? How much do you cover foam crate piece? Small litter, keeping mother away more. Other ideas, I am open.

Re: Fat puppys and egg crate

I know alot of people use the egg crate foam, but what I have done in the past is to roll up towels and make mounds for them to crawl over and sleep on, also sneak in while they are asleep and put them on their side with a towel roll (or stuffed animal ) in front and back of them so they can't lay on their stomach. I assume that you think they will get flat? If you are worried about traction, (if it is too warm right now for fleece) I usually put down small bath rugs with rubber backing that can be washed easily.

Re: Re: Fat puppys and egg crate

I second the speed bumps and bath mats. I turn my bath mats over though so pups have the rubber backing to help them with traction.

I start out with an egg crate mattress as well. I cut it to fit the whelping box and then put it inside one of those old fashioned rubber mattress protectors with a zipper. I then place whatever whelping box liner I'm using on top of it. Makes for easy cleaning.

Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: Re: Fat puppys and egg crate

Putting down the egg crate foam with an old tablecloth over it worked for me--got fatty up on his legs in a couple of days. Pee did soak through some, but I could take the foam out after about 5 days and hose it off with some cleaning/odor control solution followed by plenty of water and let it dry in the sun.