Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Struvite crystals..anyone know or experience

Got a friend with Belgian Sheepdogs. Their male was having urinary issues and it has been diagnosed as ammonium magnesium phosphate crystals. (aka struvite crystals) The dog does not have bladder stones (according to x-rays). Does anyone have experience with those crystals and how did they resolve or manage them? Any experience would be appreciated. TIA

Re: Struvite crystals..anyone know or experience

I've seen foods cause this kind of thing. Switching to a higher quality food or different food may help.

Re: Re: Struvite crystals..anyone know or experience

Raw diets clear up tough cases. Proteins have high alkalinity.

In my experience with this - used antibiotics to get rid of crystals and infection and then put dog on cranberry caps daily to ward off future issues.

I use 2100 mg. capsules. I also test PH regularly to catch a problem in the early stages and if hi PH I dbl up on cran caps for a week and test PH again.

Have cleared up minor UTI's this way. Confirmed by retesting at the vet.

A lot of times cran caps and a diet change can work to fend off the crystals. In some cases there still isn't enough acidity after those changes to do so.

Email me and I'll share the experience that I have.

Aloha,
Kim

I have a male that has struvite crystals. He was switched to Eukanuba Premium Performance food (which helps to acidify the urine better) and also placed on an "acidifier" tablet. Can't remember the name right now. He's been on the meds for 2 months and is just now 2 weeks into being on the Performance food only. I've been testing urine every two weeks now for a month and all is good. I was testing urine every week during that first month of meds.

Thanks for all of the responses...Kim, I forwarded this string onto the friends...so they may be e-mailing you. Thanks for sharing.